Learning Style

1. Describe your current methods of study. How do you study for each class?  
    1. What specific techniques do you use in class? In order to study for each class, I usually write notes and look back through them or create flashcards and have someone quiz me. 
    2. What specific techniques do you use outside of class?  Flashcards, Cornell notes 
  2. Identify one class in which you are doing well (not HLTH 101).   What study methods work best and why? One class that I am doing well in would be math and the best study method for me has been to just keep with homework and to review material and get extra practice. 
  1. Identify one class where you are experiencing challenges and address the following questions.  

Planning: 

One class that I am not doing so well in would be chemistry. To more effectively study, I can study in groups for this class and I can also go back and review the slideshows and other materials to give me a better understanding of the material so that I would be more adequately prepared.

I plan to spend 1-2 hours studying 

I think that I should spend more time studying and going over the material that I do not remember from high school rather than reviewing material that I have already learned and can accurately recall. 

Monitoring: 

I believe that at the moment I don’t quite have a systematic approach to the way that I study I usually just try to make sure that I am completing the Pre-lab and report on time , but if I were to develop a system it would most likely be to read over the lab procedure ahead of time and to do the pre-lab and report way in advance and make sure that I fully understand the material so that I would be more prepared for class. 

Currently, I am not really taking advantage of the learning supports available to me but I am definitely looking forward to using them in the future because I feel as though they are a great resource for getting extra help with things or simply to have someone check over your work so that you are able to get the best grade possible.

I am definitely struggling with my motivation to study even though I know that taking this class is what is preparing me to succeed in my major because sometimes I feel as though I have such a large workload especially once I fall behind with my work and it seemingly never ends , so sometimes I am hesitant to get started.

One of the main confusions that I had was trying to understand how we were supposed to get accurate units for the lab data because it was very difficult to clearly understand  and follow the data being presented through watching a student on zoom as they do their experiment. Although, this problem has been resolved because we are now switching to only doing labs in person every other week and not doing zoom classes.

The main confusions that remain just have to do with me not fully understanding the material which should be resolved after more studying.

Evaluating:In order to prepare for my exam I studied lecture slides and reviewed the material and that worked well because learning information in chunks is better than cramming it because you comprehend it better. 

One thing that I think didn’t work well was not practicing with the worksheets. I think it would’ve helped me understand the math portion of chemistry way better. 

I did not end up taking the chemistry exam because I was supposed to be withdrawing from the class with a form after the deadline. Although, I feel as though I would’ve struggled with the math portion.