Underneath file folders, at the very bottom of a box, I discovered a collectible in the Allan Blank Collection. What I found is the first page from Bach’s Prelude and Fugue in B minor for organ. According to the document itself, the page is from a manuscript in the collection of the Heyer-Museum in Cologne, Germany.

After a bit of research, it seems that the Heyer Museum was founded by Wilhelm Heyer in 1906 till 1927. Upon the disbanding of the museum, the collection was divided with parts going to auction while other pieces becoming part of the The Musikinstrumenten-Museum. I have yet to find any provenance for this piece, so I can’t say definitively that this was part of the Heyer collection. Nevertheless, this was a wonderful surprise to find!

Caption at the bottom of the page reads: “Johann Sebastian Bach: Prelude and Fugue in B minor for organ (Leipzig c. 1740). First music page of the autographed manuscript, which is one of the most beautiful of all that have been preserved. Formerly in the Heyer-Museum, Cologne.”

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail