Parallel Major

Parallel Major: Dental Hygiene

Dental Hygiene is my intended major, and I hope to get accepted into ODU’s Dental Hygiene program. However, if I am not accepted, I would return home and use my Dental Assistant certification and begin working. I received my Dental Assistant Certification through an accredited Dental Assisting program while in high school. VCU requires an additional class than ODU does, so while I am working as a DA I will take this class and then apply to VCU’s Dental Hygiene program. Although this is not my intended plan, it is another option that would allow me to gain some money and experience while working, yet still allow me to receive my intended degree.

Why did you choose this as your parallel major?

I choose to continue with Dental Hygiene as my parallel plan because it is a true passion of mine. I’ve wanted to be a Dental Hygienist since I was in eighth grade, and I’m not going to let that dream fade away. While I am working endlessly and am confident I will be accepted to ODU’s program, it is important to have a backup plan. I chose VCU as my second option because their hygiene program is amazing, and I know I will be able to achieve my goal of receiving my BSDH.

Interesting fact about this major:

An interesting fact about Dental Hygiene is that in some states Dental Hygienists can administer anesthetics, in other states they must use local anesthetics using a syringe, and in others they aren’t even allowed the option to perform anesthetics. It is interesting that some states allow Dental Hygienists more responsibilities than others depending completely on where you live.

Careers in this field:

There are several careers in the Dental Field, such as: Oral Surgeons, Dentists, Specialty Dentists (Periodontist, Endodontist, and more) Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants. For a Dental Hygienist one could attain an Associate’s Degree, a Bachelor’s degree, or a Master’s Degree. Each of these has several different options and pathways to attaining that specific goal. I am interested in a Bachelor’s Degree which would give me my BSDH degree making me a Registered Dental Hygienist, RDH.

Create a plan:

1. a) Additional courses needed: Since my parallel plan is to switch colleges and go to VCU, I would need to take an additional course in Speech Pathology before being allowed to apply to their Dental Hygiene Program. This would be assuming that all of my classes would transfer. If for some reason they do not, then I would need to complete those required classes in order to apply.
  2. b) How could you gain professional experiences? I would gain professional experiences by using my Dental Assistant Certification to gain experience in the field by working as a DA. I would learn how to work with a Dentist, teamwork with other Dental Professionals, and gain knowledge an experience in the field directly by working on patients.
  3. c) List the advisor: I am not sure who my advisor would be because it would be at a completely different college.