“Because when black women do things that are inherently apart of their culture they are shamed for it. While when the same people who are shaming black women appropriate their culture they are praised.”

“Some of y’all black women look silly asf defending Kim K for being slut shamed after she just basically disrespected us again. Calling Fulani Braids “Bo Derek” and playing “Don’t touch my hair.” You think I’m about to waste my energy defending her silly white behind.”

“Missing the point. Black Women have been body shamed by white society. The same body shaming that makes some of them go under the knife & get injections. They always wanted the lips and hips so they would make black women feel less beautiful because the Jealousy they have for BW.”

“No, you are wrong. I am very well-versed. I agree. I never denied there wasn’t negativity around Black men. Of course, there is, BUT, there is also negativity around Black women (weave-wearing, loud, ghetto, multiple baby daddies, fat, ugly, and the list goes on and on).”

These four tweets resonated with me, as they seem fit to describe the over sexualized, ghetto labeling, and culture appropriation of black women. This happens in media all the time. It is “ghetto” for a black woman to have long braids, big bamboo earrings, and colorful clothing, but it is “cool” or “old school” for another woman of a different race to do the same. I personally believe that its stems down to education of the black culture. It is our culture to have different hair styles and wearing weaves. Just because you were weaves or many different protective styles, that does not mean you do not have hair. Almost every celebrity wears weaves or different wigs, but they don’t get labeled for it. The history of braids traces back to the slavery era, braids were used to visually map out escapes. This was their protective mechanism. It is similar for tattoos, a white woman can have a lot of tattoos in visible places, but if a black woman has “too many” tattoos, she is labeled ghetto and from the hood. This type of attitude sends out a contradicting message to our bodies. It is unfair and unjust to attempt to label something “negatively” because of the color of ones skin. Technically nothing is wrong with being ghetto, I personally believe that “ghetto” is a form of creativity, and culture. For example, look at Harlem, NY, back in the day it was labeled the ghettos – housing welfare families in the projects. Harlem today is one of the most expensive places to live in NY.

While completing this assignment, I am proud to say that it was difficult for me to find content relating to this topic. I could not find any memes and I had to go digging for the tweets. Which gives me a sense of hope, when I searched “ghetto black girl memes” this whole meme page of positive black girl memes popped up. I have hope for the future, especially as a black woman. Black women are understanding their worth and their culture more now than before. Black women are standing up to body shaming and culture appropriation. Of course there will always be women of color who think differently but as a whole, I see improvement.

Kemi Pollock is a senior at Old Dominion University. She majors in Speech Pathology, and she plans to continue her education with speech into her Masters. She currently holds many leadership positions on campus, as well as being a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority Incorporated. She enjoys shopping, reading, and eating! She also enjoys self-love, which includes anything that will make her healthy and happy, including spending her time having good laughs with  genuine people!