When I first started this project, I thought that the papier-mâché of the penis would destigmatize it. However, I was wrong. In reality, the project was a conversation starter. The shock value allowed people to be open and more receptive to the information. When the time came to find supplies is when the questions and comments started. First, I text a male friend asking about old newspaper for the project. This response called for a conversation, so I called and explained the purpose of the project. He stated that he understood but does he really get it, I don’t know. All I knew was that I needed to debunk the power of penis and I was on a mission to do it. The second responses came from work. *this couldn’t be recorded due to HIPPA* but my coworkers’ facial expressions were hilarious. I felt that every time I asked them to save me newspapers, I had to explain the reason. I received responses such as “WOW really?” and “What kind of class is this, that you have to make a paper penis?” so of course, this called for a conversation. I had to be careful because I didn’t want any sexual harassment accusations. I believe I explained it as professional as I could. I thought that when I went to Michaels I would need to explain but I honestly didn’t need any help. However, when I went to Lowes the questions started from the attendant that was helping me. I went in to get chicken wire and he wanted to know if I was building a chicken coup. I told him that I was doing a paper mache project for class. He proceeded to ask questions until I finally told him exactly what I was doing. I could tell he was embarrassed but it was too late. I realized at that moment that I too was embarrassed, but I believe it was because of his initial reaction. As I said my mission was to destigmatize it so now I had to do us both a favor and do that by explaining the purpose of the project. This was my last stop and I now had all the supplies and was ready to start. I wanted to make this a wonderful experience. Therefore, wine was required. When I finally sat down to make the paper mache I was satisfied. I didn’t know how it was going to turn out, but I knew that I had educated and in my own way destigmatized the power of phallus.

In past works, I’ve discussed how society places phallus on a pedestal. The issues surrounding this was used to enlighten people of negative situations, so we can start to change. First within ourselves, then within others. We need to start empowering individuality, not sex, race, or social status. This starts with bodylore, it is how we can express our individuality and not conform to societies standards. It doesn’t matter if you’re a male or female, let’s start encouraging equity for everyone. A phallus is defined as an erect penis. This has nothing to do with power or aggression. And we should stop giving those traits to people only because they possess one. I encourage all of you to experience this fun activity. Forget the stigmas, get in your comfy clothes, pour a glass of wine/ beer, and work on destigmatizing the power of phallus.

Materials used were:

Newspaper, Paint, Mod Podge, Elmer’s glue, Craft fur, Chicken wire (wire cutter and work gloves), Duck tape

I decided that I wanted this penis to be 2- 4 feet tall. *The prep work took the longest*

1. I started off by tearing all my newspaper in different sizes.
  2. Then, I assembled my chicken wire. Be careful and patient because the wire does stick. *use work gloves*
  3. Next, make your glue solution. 8oz mod podge, 8oz Elmer’s glue, and 8oz water.
  4. Then, start placing the newspaper to chicken wire. I only did two layers. *the first layer is tricky so be patient*
  5. Let each layer dry completely which shouldn’t take long if you use a fan.
  6. After my second layer dried I painted it white, so my color would take better. One coat worked just fine. *I used mat acrylic paint but use your own discretion*
  7. After that has dried completely I then painted it brown. * this was a mix of 2 raw sienna and 1 coffee bean*
  8. Finally, use a darker spray paint and fur to accent.

Monique is a junior at Old Dominion University. She is majoring in Nursing with a minor in Women’s Studies. After receiving her B.S., she plans to get her M.S in Nurse-Midwifery and open a birthing center. She believes in taking an “all-natural” approach in life, hoping to find ways to apply it in the healthcare field.  She is a confident BBW who believes in body and sex positivity. She possesses positive traits such as compassion, kindness, and empathy which will continue to push her through life.