Source: BBC.com: A body Donated to Science- but used to test bombs

Bodylore is becoming a hot topic when looking at today’s society. For those who do not know, bodylore is simply the way that one displays their body making up their physical identity; the word was introduced by Katherine Young. Personally, when growing up, my parents taught me to never worry about what my body looks like or worry about what others might have to say. They taught me how to eat appropriately and healthy more so than worrying about eating on a diet. My mom would always remind me that I look beautiful the way I am whether is was a good or a bad day. Something important that my parents always reminded me to do was to carry myself how I would always want people to remember me in the long run. This included piercings, the clothing that I chose to buy or wear, all the way to any tattoos I might ever want to get. Another aspect of appearance my grandma would always focus on was posture. She always told me that people would show you more respect if you walked with your head up with good posture and if you didn’t people might think your lazy or timid. Lastly, the most important thing that I have learned from my family is to never judge someone simply on the basis of how they appear to you because people have different reasons behind every aspect of themselves whether that be their physical appearance or even their personality.

When looking into bodylore further, people may become overwhelmed with all of the factors surrounding the eight lettered word. However, it is very simple and I believe that the theory should be incorporated into workplaces especially within healthcare. Personally, I plan to pursue a career in nursing once I graduate and I know the many struggles surrounded with physical appearance when becoming a nurse. For example, at the University of Indiana’s hospital, their dress code policy was once 50 pages long and has since been reduced to only 5 pages. A few rules they have gotten rid of include the restriction of unnaturally colored hair or visible tattoos. It is important to understand that just because one looks a certain way doesn’t mean that they act or should be perceived as having a certain identity. Particularly, when looking at a woman and you notice that she has hair dyed pink, what’s the first thing to come to mind? Well, you might be wrong. An employee of the University of Indiana hospital was ecstatic about the new dress codes because she could finally dye her hair pink in support of Breast Cancer which may not be someone’s first idea when they see a woman with pink hair. Some may not agree with this theory because it may come across as unprofessional to patients, but if we break the norm between what is considered professional and unprofessional based on appearance, and show patients that just because someone looks a certain way doesn’t mean that they are incapable of doing their job with the same efficiency as someone who looks different. It is important to break the barrier of what is seen as “normal” in society, because what really is normal? It is especially important to our youth who look up to our generation for answers about how they should carry themselves. If we teach them to judge people based on appearance, we create a divide. People use their bodies to represent their heritage, religion, beliefs, age, and even gender. According to Girls Health, a website supported by the U.S. government, in order to boost self esteem and confidence in our female youth, we must allow them to celebrate their background. It can be a confidence booster to know exactly what makes you who you are, and knowing about where you “come from”.

Making someone feel misplaced or inadequate in the workplace can hinder job performance. By simply allowing workers to present themselves as they are comfortable, it can boost the “value you provide” to the atmosphere and even put more confidence in clientele. Employees who are more confident with themselves have been proven to be “positive contributors”, “more productive”, and “great role models”. 

For more information, check out:

“Boost Your Self-Esteem and Self Confidence.” GirlsHealth.gov, 19 Feb. 2015, www.girlshealth.gov/feelings/happy/boost.html.

“Breast Cancer-Patient Version.” National Cancer Institute, 2019, www.cancer.gov/types/breast.

Murray, Rheana. “Nurses with Pink Hair and Tattoos? Why This Hospital System Is Changing the Rules.” TODAY, 31 Aug. 2018, www.today.com/health/indiana-university-health-changes-tattoo-policy-nurses-t136365.

Sini, Rozina. “A Body Donated to Science – but Used to Test Bombs.” BBC News, BBC, 6 Aug. 2019, www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405.

“Why Is Confidence in the Workplace Important and How Do I Improve Mine?” Kaplan Professional, 7 Nov. 2019, www.kaplanprofessional.edu.au/blog/why-is-confidence-in-the-workplace-important-and-how-do-i-improve-mine/.

Kamiya Mayfield is a 19 year old Sophomore who currently attends Old Dominion University. She is pursing a major in Pre-Nursing and a minor in Women’s Studies. Currently, she works as a Newborn Hearing Screen Technician for St. Francis Medical Center in Midlothian, Virginia. At Old Dominion, she holds an Executive Board position for The League of Distinction which is an organization dedicated to community service, leadership, and making a differences in the lives around them. Her dream is to finish school and pursue a career as Labor & Delivery Nurse. Her favorite quote is one by Maya Angelou, “Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.”