Assignment Takeaway

Assignment Takeaway 5 – 4/1/18

South Koreans consider pride as a positive emotion. Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/l1AsLymBVCPdmrf8I/giphy.gif

Since I was a child, I’ve been interested in the Korean culture. That’s why when I was looking for articles for Assignment 5, I got excited because I saw one relating South Koreans and self-conscious emotions. In the study by Chung and Robins, I found that South Koreans recognize the pride as the highest, low for shame, and almost none for embarrassment. Compared to Americans, the Asian-born participants have a significantly lower recognition rates. Using this study, we can still see that South Korea is still a collectivist culture in which positive emotions are recognized more than the negatives. I enjoyed writing this assignment because it definitely expanded my knowledge about the cross-cultural differences of Americans and Asians regarding their recognition of self-conscious emotions.

Assignment Takeaway 4 – 3/11/18

Image from: http://www.joelapompe.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kit2008.jpg

In this assignment, I got the chance to look at the gender differences in advertising with more depth. Finding examples of these kinds of advertisements showed me how much women are objectified even across cultures. “Sex sells” kinds of advertising still impact society and how genders are perceived. What I realized while researching was, even if we see women quickly rising in society, we can still see how women are seen as inferior and as objects in other countries. Maybe I just looked for specific ads that objectified women? Maybe. I’m seeing more and more ads about women empowerment such as the Dove ads, Playtex ads, etc. Social media might also be helpful in breaking these gender norms.

Assignment Takeaway 2 – 2/11/18

Image from: Google images https://i.pinimg.com/474x/85/45/1b/85451b754583880dd2d6eb42b1844a28–high-expectations-asian-father-back-to-the-future.jpg

“Someday…” —- The first thing I learned from this assignment is how alike the Asian and American culture are when it comes to getting ready for the future. I realized that in every decision I make I consider how it will affect the future that’s why I do not really make spontaneous, risky decisions. I also learned that younger Americans tend to think and enjoy the present more as opposed to older generations. They tend to do activities and decide based on what will make them happy or give them pleasure at the present more than the future. However, it doesn’t mean that they do not think about the future at all. Just like me, I think of things that I enjoy doing at the same time benefit me in the future. While it might seem that I am not living my life the fullest by avoiding risks, I think about the consequences of my actions first before my own happiness because my future is also my family’s future.

Assignment Takeaway 1 – 1/28/18

Got my US Citizenship!

The first assignment, Identifying Stage of Intercultural Sensitivity, was definitely a reflection of my personal experiences when I moved from the Philippines to the United States. I realized that moving made me become a person who embraces all cultures that’s why I’m in the 6th stage of Intercultural Sensitivity. I perfectly embraced both my Filipino and American culture and I’m having no problems switching back and forth. I do feel like I’m not part of a certain cultural group because I could always adapt and fit in with whatever group I encounter. Being in this stage is a great advantage because it helps me balance my relationships with people around me. I hope the day comes that everyone will be in this stage for I believe that it is the way to avoid misunderstandings between different cultural groups.