As we begin Fall 2018, students in JST 300 – WMST 495 – WMST 595 (Holocaust and Genocide Studies) reflect on what they hope to gain or learn this semester by pursing this area of study. We’ll check in again at the end of the semester to see how we did with these goals!

• What I hope to accomplish is a new perspective of gender or race studies and how it can also affect women. What patterns form racial crimes, genocides, war crimes, etc. and are they seen in modernity and what approach could one possibly use to resolve them?
  • I’m interested in learning about the genocides I don’t know a lot about. Obviously, the Holocaust is a major, well-known genocide. I’ve seen Hotel Rwanda, but I couldn’t give you a general synopsis of what it actually entailed. I would like to gain a deeper understanding of some world knowledge and things to look for in the future.
  • I hope to gain a better understanding of what led up to genocides. I’m interested in understanding all the factors that might have made it worse or complicated rescue/help efforts. Lastly, I hope to perhaps learn things other teachers skipped or left out either due to graphic nature or because the facts hadn’t been released.
  • This class has a meaning and purpose and I want to have a better understanding of the world.
  • I want to become more exposed to the atrocities of the world so that I can not only be a better artist but a better person.
  • For years I have wanted to be more educated on genocide, because I had always thrown the word around without having a full understanding of what it is. I hope to take the knowledge I gain from this class and be able to share it with other people who may show interest but be uneducated or ignorant to it. I hope that by sharing this knowledge I can help change viewpoints .
  • I hope to gain more knowledge and understanding of these tragic events.
  • I hope to gain a better understanding of what genocide is, how it happens, and how to prevent it. As a cliche goes, those who ignore or don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and It think we live in a time where people only think of genocide as the Holocaust and believe that it could never happen again, when in fact it happens more frequently than we realize and much more easily than we’d like to think.
  • I don’t feel like I can offer an opinion until I educate myself and I actually want to have a huge understanding of this topic.
  • As a student of international studies, I feel like I do not know much about genocide studies. H ave done research and fieldwork abroad, I have worked on refugee crises, and I am passionate to learn about genocide as I am positive that iterates to my passions and life goals. I am very excited to connect the dots!
  • I am studying genocide because I have always had a passion for human rights and value the lives of all groups of people, no matter what they believe. This also ties to my studies because I would like to be able to prevent another genocide from taking place, though they happen and many countries don’t acknowledge them or the ramifications that they have. We live in an interesting time, where anything can happen and being knowledgeable about the subject helps, because that can be used to discuss with people and try to bring light to the underlying issues.
  • I’m taking this class to get a different perspective, to fill in holes in my education.
  • I’d like to also learn a little bit about the Jewish Culture in this class.
  • As a Jew, I feel it is part of my responsibility to remember what my ancestors suffered through and help prevent it from happening again. In the end, I just hope to have a better understanding of how and why from a historical standpoint to further improve my ability to look at things from different angles.
  • Honestly, in high school we didn’t talk about the Holocaust or any other genocide, and I want to learn more and gain knowledge on how to talk about these topics.
  • Genocide is fascinating to me because of the psychology behind it. I’m hoping to understanding a bit more of what motivates a person or a group of people to hate another group so devoutly that they try to erase them. Granted, everyone has some sort of complex, but I’ve been genuinely stumped by this since watching “The Boy with the Striped Pajamas” in the seventh grade. What becomes of the family members who lose their lineage through these atrocities? Additionally, what resources are being offered to victims?
  • I need to understand this to be a good human. I hope to be a more effective nice for change. Understanding history is power.
  • The most profound moment for me was meeting a Holocaust survivor for the first time at a school assembly. Seeing the numerical tattoo on his arm and being so closely exposed to second and third generation survivors, I grew up very attached tot he history of the Holocaust, to the point where I feel that it is my history, even though I am not Jewish.
  • I want to be more informed. I am Jewish so this topic is closet o my heart. I hope to get a better understanding of genocide and a better appreciation for the life I have.
  • I want to be able to identify the warning signs so that I can be a voice to help prevent genocides from happening in the future.