In the older poster of propaganda, it shows a snake with a Japanese person’s face with a snake tongue. The poster also tells of how these people or snakes backstab. The poster also makes the Japanese person’s face look threatening and not really pleasant. With the newer poster, it shows a boy in bed seemingly very scarred and a man scaring him with the threat of Muslims.

In the older poster, they are trying to make it look like Japanese people were horrible people. By calling the Japanese backstabbers, that’s most likely referring to how the Japanese were allies in World War I, while in World War II, they were a part of the Axis and bombed at Pearl Harbor. With the poster though, by referring to basically all Japanese as backstabbers, it is implying that everyone who is Japanese, even the Japanese who were born in the United States or Japanese people who knew nothing about the plots of Pearl Harbor are also horrible people. This is a racist statement by implying that all Japanese people are the exact same and grouping them all together as such. In the newer propaganda, it plays off the fears of some American’s fears of Muslim people. This cartoon I believe is somewhat mocking those in America who group all Muslims as equal to terrorists. There are several groups of people in the modern times that associate anyone who is Middle Eastern as both Muslim and Islamic as if they were the same thing. Even worse, a lot of members of these groups equate both Muslim and Islamic as being a terrorist, no matter what little if any proof is present by them to prove this belief.

The audience for the older poster would be Americans that were afraid of the Japanese people or Americans who already didn’t like the Japanese. The audience for the newer cartoon could be people who oppose Americans who group all Muslims as bad people. The cartoon could also be trying to have an audience with people who blame most terrorist acts on the Muslims to see how these people will react. Both of these forms of propaganda are similar because they both have to do with some of America’s fear or hatred to some immigrants. They are different because the newer cartoon is somewhat mocking the people who blame Muslims with being scary or related to terrorist acts. The older poster is pretty much completely serious about mocking the Japanese and referring to Japanese people as snakes.

The older poster is playing on the fears of a good bit of Americans of the time since the poster was made right around the time of World War II. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, many people let their racist ideas fly free about everyone who was Japanese, even if the Japanese person was born in the United States. This would lead to many of the Japanese Americans to be put in concentration camps for around a year or even more at times. Japanese Americans in these concentration camps included several of my aunts as well as my mom’s mother and father.

The newer cartoon I feel is more poking fun at those who believe Muslims are all bad people. A part of the reason I feel this way is because of the way the picture is drawn of the characters is fairly silly. The artist seems to be mocking the man by making him look more threatening in the cartoon as well as scaring the child right before he is trying to go to sleep. This man could represent the entirety of Americans who blame Muslims for all terrorist acts, which is most likely why the artist made him look somewhat over the top, as a way to sway people from thinking in this way.

I think propaganda impacts us today by swaying some people to believe some things without having all the facts, or some people believing in something because it is pretty much the popular thing to believe a certain thing because they don’t want to be disliked for having a different opinion. I think some forms of propaganda can almost go unnoticed as propaganda if it’s done a certain way. This can include friends you know telling about some news and your friend or friends having a firm opinion on the subject but they never give any of the facts that oppose their opinions. If people are quick to jump to conclusions based on the facts that your friends told, people may believe everything your friend said without realizing that there are many facts that your friend left out because he or she wants people to listen to him or her. In the digital age, propaganda can be many things. This can include political advertisements, things friends post, political cartoons, certain videos and documentaries, social media, news articles, and many more things that can sway your opinion on any and everything.

Hello, my name is Marshall Rigby and I am a senior at ODU. I am a Music Industry major. I have played the clarinet since I was in 5thgrade. I was born May 18, 1997 in Virginia Beach, VA. In terms of writing, I’ve written several papers on musicians and people I like or who I find interesting as well as music in general. These people I’ve written about include Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys and Paul McCartney as well a bit longer ago. I am also interested in different aspects of history and the things that went on during these different time periods.