After completing the assigned reading and gathering my thoughts, I still don’t have a clear answer to the question. “Stories about righteous gentiles and those who fought back are important and inspirational. But could they be potentially dangerous to holocaust and genocide memory?” My first thought was no, of course not why would anyone that wasn’t Jewish standing up for them be considered a bad thing. Shouldn’t it be a great thing that non-Jewish people saw the horribleness going on and did something about it. But thinking about it further, maybe their stories have over shadowed the tragedy. Maybe the stories have become about how brave these people are for “saving the day” instead of keeping the focus on the actual event. Then I could see how romanticizing the events and those people are dangerous and can take away from the holocaust.

When you think about the mass amounts of people that were murdered during WWII, you think how could all those German people just stand by and do nothing. You think to yourself, I would never let that happen in front of me. But I image it could be difficult to stand up to a hostile army and not have any consequences, like you or your whole family being killed just for speaking up. It’s not easy to go against everyone, especially when they have guns and gas chambers. I think its possible they had the mindset of well someone else will stop them; someone else will stand up for them. People are afraid to speak up, that’s why it’s still continuing today. People think they are powerless and there isn’t anything they can do.

Allyson Flora is majoring at ODU in biology. Coming from a science background,s he is used to writing from a reporting perspective: mostly figures and explanations of lab procedures an findings. She is looking forward to writing from a less constrictive manor where she can put more thought into her words.