My final project is made up of two different aspects, both of which are related to music. The one part of my final project are the drawings I made. The other part of my final project is the playlist (found below!) I have made that is supposed to be in memory of those who have suffered something like a genocide. Some of these songs have to do with darkness as well as overcoming this darkness even in the toughest of times. Several of these songs also feature the message of peace and living life to the fullest with what you are given.

For the first drawing, I drew a musical note with a peace symbol in the note head. What I’m going for with this drawing is pretty much peace through music. It is a way of saying for everyone to stop all the hate in this world and come together. Hating people for being different from you is absolutely mindless and needs to end. One of the greatest ways I have found that can bring people together is through the power of music. Music is a great barrier breaker that can show even the most close-minded of people that we are all not so different and that we can take away the politics of everything and learn to find peace with each other.

The other drawing I drew shows a music staff, but instead of sharps or flats for the key signature, it features the many different religious symbols. This is basically a way of saying that we create unity with each other no matter what different religion we are from each other, and one of the best ways to bring this unity is through the beauty of music. I would say the intended audience for both of these drawings would be anyone who wants to do their part in the stopping of the spread of hate so that we can stop genocides from continuing to happen. Genocides are normally caused by hateful thought on a certain group or groups of people. If we can stop this spread of hate, love and peace will conquer and bring people together. I have found that one of the greatest barrier breakers is music. With this second drawing, it shows that music can unify people of all different religions and beliefs. 

I would say that these drawings could be placed almost anywhere that wants to spread the ideas of peace, love, and being welcoming. This could include a library, somewhere like the Webb Center, or somewhere like the Diehn building at ODU since the drawings have to do with the spread of love and peace through the power of music. The artwork is simple enough that most people could be able to draw it and spread it around almost like a poster to put around for people to show their support of love, peace, and unity through the power of music. The art is rather straightforward, but it can be up to interpretation to the viewer, but the main aspect of the drawings is love and peace through music.

With my final portion of the final project, I have a playlist of songs to choose from. Although a lot of these songs don’t address the holocaust or a genocide in particular, it is the ideals and messages of the songs that shines through. Many of the songs have to do with overcoming something tough situations, spreading peace and love, living life to the fullest, remembering someone or a group of people who passed away, being proud of who you are, and overcoming the darkest of times just name a few.

For the first song on the playlist, I decided to go with “Time” by The Alan Parsons Project. It has to do with pretty much living your life to the fullest given the time you are given on this Earth. It is a good message to live your life every day because you don’t know who or what could impact it. It’s a little bit sad to think about, but it’s important to treasure the life you live. The following track is “Theme From Schindler’s List”. It is an emotional piece of music that was written by John Williams for the movie “Schindler’s List” to remember all those who suffered during the Holocaust. The next song is “Love” by John Lennon. The song is pretty much self-explanatory by the title. We must always try to love one another so that we avoid senseless acts of violence such as genocides. The following track is “Imagine” by John Lennon. It is pretty much the anthem for peace on Earth. The ideals of love in the song are very important and can bring even the most opposite of people together and put aside differences. The next track is “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor. Although the song is rather personal, it also fits with the playlist rather well. It fits well by having themes and lyrics about going through tough experiences, losses, but carrying on the best one can.

Next up is “Solsbury Hill” by Peter Gabriel. It is a rather positive song pretty much and from my interpretation could be about breaking free from being restricted and living your life. The following song is “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac. It is rather bitter-sweet and can be up to interpretation lyrically. The sad parts of the song with the feel of the song of continuing to carry on fit fairly well for this playlist. The next song is “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John. Although the song was originally written for Marilyn Monroe, the lyrics, especially the chorus, could fit well to remember those who ever had to suffer or lost their life in a genocide. The next song is “I Want Love” by Elton John. It fits because it could be interpreted as someone who has gone through a traumatic experience and wanting to break through to have a real bond with someone or just people in general with real love, not feelings that are artificial or fake. Next up is “Waterfall” by the Electric Light Orchestra. It has to do with love as well to keep your friends and love ones close to you. The next song is “When I Was a Boy” by the Electric Light Orchestra. I feel this song is fitting for the playlist because it shows an idea of what children should be dreaming about or a general area of thought. In reality, children shouldn’t have to worry about being in a genocide or be suffering for being different.

The next song is “The Gunner’s Dream” by Pink Floyd. It has to do with someone fighting in war so that he can to do his part so that genocide and many other things like the disappearance of people will no longer happen. Next up is “Autumn” by The Edgar Winter Group. It has to do with dealing with losing someone you love but carrying on the best one can. “Teach Your Children” by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is next. It also has to do with carrying on, but with your children. This could be related to after someone has gone through something like a genocide, so those who did suffer can teach their children how to be loving and compassionate with all people. “Colour My World” by Chicago follows this song. It pretty much has to do with loving your loved ones and those you are close to. Next up is “Love and Mercy” by Brian Wilson. As its title suggests, everyone deserves “love and mercy.” It also tells how saddening it is with all of the violence and suffering that occurs on Earth. Everyone deserves to be loved and to be shown compassion. The following piece is “Hymn to the Fallen” by John Williams. Although the piece was written more so for the members of the military who lost their lives during World War II, the piece is also fitting to remember those who have ever lost their lives in a genocide. Next up is “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” by Arcade Fire. In ways the song reminds me of people losing their identity which can be a big part of a genocide. This can be shown in lyrics like “then we tried to name our babies, but we forgot all the names that, the names we used to know.” Next up is “Wake Up” by Arcade Fire. The song is pretty much a way of saying to stand up for what you believe is right and to keep pushing forward no matter the obstacle.

Next up is “In My Hour of Darkness” by Gram Parsons. It has to do with doing what is right in the darkest of times. This can interpreted in many ways, but it fits with the playlist by thinking of the lyrics as a person wanting to do what is right in the darkest of times. “Day After Day” by Badfinger is next. The song has a bitter-sweet feel to it. It has to do with loving someone you are close to even in the sad times. “No Matter What” by Badfinger is next. The song is basically saying to be you no matter what someone else says or thinks about you. The singer also says that he will always love this person for being who they are. Next up is “Ain’t No Man” by The Avett Brothers. It also has to do with being yourself. Other people’s prejudices or dislikes should not control who you are or are allowed to be. The following song is “One Love/People Get Ready” by Bob Marley & The Wailers. It has to do with bringing people together with love and to put aside our differences. “What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye is next up. Is has to do with confusion of why there is violence and brutality and has to do with conquering hate with love. The next song is “Wind of Change” by Scorpions. It was released right around when the Berlin Wall was torn down, so it has to do with unity and peace. It also has to do with how changes for the positive can bring seemingly different people closer together almost as if they were brothers. “Send Me an Angel” by Scorpions is next. It pretty much has to do with what you feel is right but to avoid going astray from what is right.

“Sonnet” by The Verve is next. The song has to do with finding love and that there is love even through all the tough times. The following song is “The Drugs Don’t Work” by The Verve. It has to do really with having a true love. With this true love, it is pretty much saying that if one of these people who truly loves one another should die, the other person who is a true love one will see them again in some form. The next song is “Silent Lucidity” by Queensryche. It pretty much has to do with dreaming and being free with a parent figure watching over the person who is dreaming. This is a positive thought and is almost an ideal scenario for a kid instead of a child worrying about dangers of something like a genocide. The next song is “I Won’t Back Down” by Tom Petty. It is pretty much self-explanatory from its title. You should do what you feel is right no matter what someone or society says about that. Next up is “Let My Love Open the Door” by Pete Townshend. It has to do with allowing love to free someone from being sad or from being in misery. The next song is “My Sweet Lord” by George Harrison. It pretty much has to do with breaking down of religions and bringing them together with one loving Lord to bring a universal message of love.

The next song is “The Ballad of El Goodo” by Big Star. It pretty much has to do with doing what you feel is right and holding on no matter who tries to get in your way of doing this. The next song is “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke. It has to do with racial tensions, but that there will be a change for the positive that will bring people together. The next song is “Words” by the Bee Gees. It has to do with trying to find love in a world that can at times seems to be rather cruel. The next song is “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)” by The Beach Boys. It has to do with living your life in the moment to the fullest with a loved one. The next song is “Surf’s Up” by The Beach Boys. Despite its title, it has nothing to do with surfing. In fact most of the lyrics are rather cryptic in a poetic kind of way by needing to read into them. It pretty much is saying that there can be an optimistic hope for the future if more people bring or gain a youthful innocence instead of being taken up by all of the hate in this world. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon & Garfunkel is next. It is pretty much saying that in the toughest of times, there will be someone or something that will watch over you. You can count on this person or thing to be by your side in times of trouble or darkness.

The next song is “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” by The Beatles. It pretty much has to do with how some people lack or refuse to show love which could have been created by the way society has tried to mold people into what it wants people to be. Next is “Blackbird” by The Beatles. It has to do with breaking free from restrictions and be on equal footing with everyone else. The next song is “Let it Be” by The Beatles. It is pretty much saying that even in the darkest of times there will be a light that will clear away the darkness. Next up is “The Masterplan” by Oasis. The song is saying to live your life to the fullest and do what you feel is right. Finally, the last song is “Whatever” by Oasis. It is saying that you should be who you are no matter what anyone says and to do what you feel is right.

Playlist: 

The Alan Parsons Project-Time
John Williams-Theme From Schindler’s List
John Lennon-Love
John Lennon-Imagine
James Taylor-Fire and Rain
Peter Gabriel-Solsbury Hill
Fleetwood Mac-Landslide
Elton John-Candle in the Wind
Elton John-I Want Love
Electric Light Orchestra-Waterfall
Electric Light Orchestra-When I Was A Boy
Pink Floyd-The Gunner’s Dream
The Edgar Winter Group-Autumn
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-Teach Your Children
Chicago-Color My World
Brian Wilson-Love and Mercy
John Williams-Hymn to the Fallen
Arcade Fire-Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Arcade Fire-Wake Up
Gram Parsons-In My Hour of Darkness
Badfinger-Day After Day
Badfinger-No Matter What
The Avett Brothers-Ain’t No Man
Bob Marley & The Wailers-One Love/People Get Ready
Marvin Gaye-What’s Going On
Scorpions-Wind of Change
Scorpions-Send Me an Angel
The Verve-Sonnet
The Verve-The Drugs Don’t Work
Queensryche-Silent Lucidity
Tom Petty-I Won’t Back Down
Pete Townshend-Let My Love Open the Door
George Harrison-My Sweet Lord
Big Star-The Ballad of El Goodo
Sam Cooke-A Change Is Gonna Come
Bee Gees-Words
The Beach Boys-Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
The Beach Boys-Surf’s Up
Simon & Garfunkel-Bridge Over Troubled Water
The Beatles-While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The Beatles-Blackbird
The Beatles-Let it Be
Oasis-The Masterplan
Oasis-Whatever

Hello, my name is Marshall Rigby and I am a senior at ODU. I am a Music Industry major. I have played the clarinet since I was in 5thgrade. I was born May 18, 1997 in Virginia Beach, VA. In terms of writing, I’ve written several papers on musicians and people I like or who I find interesting as well as music in general. These people I’ve written about include Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys and Paul McCartney as well a bit longer ago. I am also interested in different aspects of history and the things that went on during these different time periods.