There are many pertinent symbols of Judaism which all represent various customs. Two of these symbols are called challah and a challah coverChallah is braided-style bread that is typically eaten on Shabbat (Jews’ Day of Rest). This specific type of bread can be presented as homemade, or it can be purchased in certain grocery stores. 

Before consuming the Challah, a prayer is recited giving thanks to G-D for the blessing of bread. The Challah Cover is placed over top of the bread while the bread is being recited. Usually, the person chanting the blessing(s) has his/her hand over the covered challah. The two items together- the challah and its cover- are considered to be holy, due to the manner in which they are being used.      

As far as the appearance of Challah Covers are concerned, they can have any kind of design imaginable! The covers would also most likely have Hebrew on them.    

For more information on Challah and Challah Covers visit:

https://www.chabad.org/recipes/recipe_cdo/aid/416607/jewish/Challah-I.htm

My name is Helen Kaplan. I am a Philosophy major with a minor in Jewish Studies and a concentration in Religious Studies. I grew up in a traditionally Conservative Jewish household, therefore helping me to become invested and knowledgeable in my faith. I originally chose to become a Conservative Rabbi at 18 years old, but soon felt the need to jump back and forth between majors until I was sure that I would be making the best decision for my future. I just recently redirected myself back to the Rabbinical goal and am excited to continue moving forward in that direction. In my spare time I enjoy reading, writing, going to the beach, movies, dining out and spending time with family/friends. I will also be getting married at the end of the year, so needless to say that I am also currently very busy with a lot of wedding planning! I look forward to becoming more involved with my peers and professor in REL 350 as the semester progresses.