LIBS 674 – Assignment 5B – Managerial Matrix

On the Managerial Matrix assessment, I scored a raw score of 35 for “People” and 34 for “Task”, which then was calculated for final scores of 7 and 6.8, respectively. These numbers landed me directly in the center of the “Team Leader” position on the matrix. After reviewing this title in relation to the others, it makes sense that I was placed in this category. As a leader, I aim to serve as a team leader, leading the other people around to grow both as individuals, and to work toward a goal. During my student teaching experience, I referred to myself as the leader of the classroom, in attempts to express to my students that I learned as much from them as they learned from me. I do not want my team members to view me as an authority figure in an intimidating way, but more so as the person they can go to when they have issues and need leadership. Being a team leader means fostering a community and growing together, while working toward a common goal (James, 2012). Leading a team requires high performance from all individuals, which is best encouraged by team leader bosses (James, 2012). Hiring the best employees while encouraging and fostering a sense of community helps to grow and adapt the team over time, as well. 

When working with excellent leaders, employees are more likely to be invested in the work they are doing. As James explains, “employees work harder because they believe in the organization’s goals” (2012). With strong relationships and rapport amongst team members, teams are more successful and productive. One way to establish and grow rapport amongst team members is by meeting regularly as a team (Becnel, 2011). Soliciting team meetings shows that you are invested in your team and provides an opportunity for them to provide feedback. Additionally, it is important that leaders not only collect feedback, but use it when making changes (Becnel, 2011).

References

Becnel, K. (2011). When you’re not (exactly) the boss: How to manage effectively in a “coordinator” role. In C. Smallwood (Ed.), Library Management Tips That Work (pp. 28–30). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.

James, G. (2012, April 23). 8 core beliefs of extraordinary bosses. Retrieved from Inc.com website: https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/8-core-beliefs-of-extraordinary-bosses.html

The Vision Council. (2010, October). PDF. Boston. Retrieved from https://www.bumc.bu.edu/facdev-medicine/files/2010/10/Leadership-Matrix-Self-Assessment-Questionnaire.pdf