Sandbox # 2

This week we explored images. After choosing a picture of a woman and her shadow, I took a look at all the editing websites. I decided to use the tuxpi website and used the focus effect. I did look at the swirl effect, and the wirl effect, but decided the focus feature worked best with the picture. I like that the focus effect makes the rest of the picture in grayscale and only highlights the area I wanted. One way students could use the focus effect would be on an assignment that you want students to find a certain image, and focus in on where it displays something they are learning. For example, if students were learning about shadows, they could find pictures that display shadows, and use the focus feature to highlight the area that has the shadow. Another idea that came to mind was finding pictures of flowers, and highlighting a certain part of the flower you want them to identify. However, this could be with any concept students are learning at the time. I think using a photograph, and being able to edit using the tools would be exciting for students.

Tipchai, S. (2016). Beach-coastline-dawn-girl-nature-1822598 [photograph]. Pixabay. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/photos/beach-coastline CC Zero

For the next image, I used pizap and decided to include a quote on the picture. I added a text box, and made sure to choose a color that would stand out in the background. I could have changed the filter on it, but I decided to leave it how it was instead. I could also have changed the brightness, softness, or saturation. However, when I moved any of those settings some of the white in the water became washed out, and it changed the look of the photograph. I feel this assignment would be fun for students to pick their favorite motivational quote, and put it with a photograph or image that fits. The quotes and images could be displayed on a shared Powerpoint for students to read for encouragement. This might be a good idea for the older grade levels taking SOLs this time of the year. The photographs and quotes could also be displayed in the library, classroom, or hallways of the school.

Adamkontor (2013). Young-woman-beach-dress-white-dress-1745173 [photograph]. Pixabay. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/photos/young-woman-beach-dress-white-dress-1745173/?scrlybrkr=96ab17cc  CC Zero 

I found the readings this week very interesting. As someone who has sat through Powerpoint presentations for years, I realized that one of the biggest mistakes many people, myself included, have made is using tons of text or bullets. I really appreciated thinking of the use of Powerpoint as a tool to tell a story. “Traditional literacy is important, of course, but today multimedia literacy – text, audio, and images, including video—is just as important for learning, teaching, and communicating both complex and simple ideas” (Reynolds, 2014, p. 95). This concept is important for us to remember as we teach our students how to create presentations, and how powerful they can be if used in an effective way. I really enjoyed reading about how impactful images are, and how manipulating them can create a lasting impression for a viewer. 

References

Reynolds, G. (2014). Presentation zen design: A simple visual approach to presenting in today’s world. 2nd ed. New Riders/Pearson.

Tipchai, S. (2016). Beach-coastline-dawn-girl-nature-1822598 [photograph]. Pixabay. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/photos/beach-coastline-dawn-girl-nature-1822598/?scrlybrkr=96ab17cc CC Zero

Facebooktwitterlinkedininstagramflickrfoursquaremail

7 Comments Add yours

1. tobyr002 says:

I like that you used the focus feature in your first picture. It looks really neat. I have been thinking the same things as I am doing our readings. So many problems with all these PowerPoint presentation I’ve been attending and, embarrassingly, making too. You don’t know what you don’t know!

2. afree011 says:

I love the edit you did with the Tuxpi tool! I think it really brings in some elements that were mentioned in the textbook.

3. Tina Richar says:

Love the results of the focus feature on the first photo. I like your ideas of how students could use the photos.

4. sthom117 says:

I love your edits! And I very much want to be on that beach!

5. hhutc004 says:

I fully agree with your thoughts on expanding powerpoint or general presentations from just text into multimedia subjects as someone who loves overusing bullet points. I think having many bullet points tends to be a crunch when students are younger but having pictures and videos can bring a presentation all together.

6. I don’t know if you people like the above couch art, but if you do, please visit this Etsy shop – https://www.etsy.com/shop/StreetPixel. This shop has the most amazing, colorful livingroom art there is, and they have free shipping as well.

7. For detailed information about Google’s top tips, the most used, most effective and free SEO tools, and to get effective information about SEO, visit our website immediately.