Library Visit # 2 – Public Library

Bowman Library

Space & Physical Access 

Bowman Library is situated beside Lakeside Lake in Stephens City, Virginia. There are townhouses located nearby, but overall this area exudes nature vibes. As the library is by the lake, a half mile trail named Bowman Lake Trail allows people to take a stroll that wraps around the lake itself. I visited on a nice day, so there were several people out enjoying this trail. 

Just inside the front doors there is a meeting space to the left that is able to be reserved for a variety of purposes. There are also several little tables paired with chairs that give a slight hangout feel, or perhaps a place to take a break after using the main meeting room space. After looking on the library website for more information, the meeting room is available for any groups to use. 

Inside the main library there are several tables for doing work as well as many comfortable seating options. In addition, there are also several different spaces that offer computer access to patrons. There are windows that line up all throughout the library to give patrons a view of the outside as they read, study, etc. In the picture below, the lake is a calming backdrop in which I sat to take notes during my visit. 

(Free, 2022)

Services & Intellectual Access 

Rubin and Rubin (2020), in discussing services to children and youth, state that “More than 54% of all library programming is focused on children, and another 10% involves services to youth” (p. 139). During my visit I found a lot of evidence that Bowman Library fits into this statistic. I found signs advertising programs for teens, and the way the children’s section is set up definitely hinted that it was used for story times. 

(Free, 2022)

As can be seen from the sign pictured above, there are several teen programs that are happening in the month of March. These are programs that I would have loved to take part in when I was a teenager. While there are distinct ties to literacy displayed here, there are also programs that indicate some larger understanding of today’s teens. A teen game night caters to interests outside of books, while the calming glitter jars program reflects the realities that teenagers carry a lot of stress and anxiety with them. 

The library collection is organized by the Dewey Decimal system, but for the fiction, manga, and media sections, it was organized by type and author/creator’s last name. For example, fiction books were labeled as “fiction” rather than given an 800 number and also included the author’s last name. Anecdotally, I have noticed that this way of organizing has been pretty much the same with other public libraries I have used. 

Patrons & Staff

There were a variety of people that I was able to observe during my visit. I was there on a Monday evening, and it was a lot busier than I would have anticipated. I noticed that a lot of patrons were using the tables and seating. A few were leisurely reading, but I also noticed that several patrons had laptops and seemed to be working. There were also quite a few patrons that were utilizing some of the many computers available to the public. 

I was also fortunate enough to observe a staff member interacting with patrons through one of the youth programs that was happening during my visit: Lego Club. A flier that lists all the youth services and programs told me that this specific program was for children ages 6-11, but I only observed the younger side of that age range during my visit. Those who were there for the program seemed to be enjoying themselves. 

I also noted that while the patrons at this library were diverse, the staff working at the library the evening I visited was not. So, despite the perhaps lacking diversity in those working at this library, they do serve a somewhat diverse community.

Collection

Bowman library has many different types of collections, and some that are even surprising to me. Of course, the library has the typical newspapers, books, CDs, DVDs, and magazines, but one thing I definitely was not expecting was the video game collection that is offered. 

(Free, 2022)

As can be observed from the picture above, the video game selection is small, but it is strategically placed in the Young Adult section of the library. In thinking about this type of collection, and thinking back to the types of programming for teens this library provides, I wonder if this is just another way to get teens into libraries. That’s not to say that adults cannot check these out, but I feel the placement to be intentional. 

Digital Access

As Bowman Library is part of the Handley Regional Library System, it shares a lot of its digital presence with the region as a whole (https://www.handleyregional.org/locations/bowman). I find that the site is very easy to navigate and I was able to find out a lot of useful information. 

After spending some time clicking around on the site, I noticed that patrons can access not only the library catalog, but they also have access to databases and give access to job resources (online access allows patrons to get help with resumes, cover letters, and even interview practice through the website that has been linked). In addition to this, under the section for adults, there is also an option to email a librarian to ask for help with book recommendations or research. 

There are three staff members listed for Bowman Library, and I would say the job titles sound pretty predictable: Library Branch Manager, Information Services Coordinator, and Circulation Services Coordinator. Some of the other libraries in the region had more staff with more titles on top of these three, so I am wondering if some of the responsibilities of these librarians go beyond their job titles (and I’m going to take a guess and say that they do). 

Final Take-Aways

Rubin and Rubin (2020) explains that “public libraries today state their mission simply as striving to meet the educational, informational, recreational, and cultural needs of their communities” (p. 106). I found this assertion to be true when looking up the mission of the Handley Regional Library System (n.d.): “Handley Regional Library System provides outstanding information, resources, programs and services to enrich our diverse community.” While observing and interacting with Bowman Library, I found that it had a strong sense of providing help to job seekers (there were signs in the library itself on how to seek assistance as well as the resources that are provided to patrons on the website) and the wide variety of programs that are offered. 

I really enjoyed my visit to this library, especially as I had such a calming view of the lake during the times I stopped to take notes. While I am on the path to be a school librarian, visiting a public library was also letting me see other ways a librarian can have an impact on the community. 

While I have been able to read about the types of burnout that librarians can experience during my time in this class, I would like to know more about the daily job of a public librarian.

References

Free, A. (2022, March 14). [Photograph of the front of Bowman Library–used as cover photo]. Google Photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Dy2oJFBGUa85aBJ6 

Free, A. (2022, March 14). [Photograph of lake visible from inside Bowman Library]. Google Photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Dy2oJFBGUa85aBJ6 

Free, A. (2022, March 14). [Photograph of teens programming board]. Google Photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Dy2oJFBGUa85aBJ6 

Free, A. (2022, March 14). [Photograph of video games collection at Bowman Library]. Google Photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Dy2oJFBGUa85aBJ6 

Handley Regional Library System. (n.d.). About Handley Regional Library System. https://www.handleyregional.org/about-us 

Rubin, R. E. and Rubin, R. G. (2020). Foundations of library and information science (5th ed.). ALA Neal-Schuman. 

8 Comments Add yours

1. talle025 says:

Amy, Bowman Library sounds lovely. I love that have taken advantage of being next door to a lake for the views and having a trail. The library I work at has a small lake with a trail around it for walking. The library (and the county) does not own it, the property we sit in the middle of does, but people really enjoy walking around it on days like today. Another library in the HCPL system sits right across from Capital Trail. I like how libraries seem to be taking advantage of outdoor space as well. For some reason when you mentioned the diversity of patrons, this quote came to mind, ““public libraries serve the public, “’from cradle to grave,’” (I Love Libraries. 2020). Not sure why it brought that to mind, you didn’t mention seniors, but you did mention the younger side. I also thought about this, “because libraries bring free access to all, they also bring opportunity to all” (I Love Libraries, 2020). I like the young adult programs as well. Sounds great they are trying to bring in that demographic into the library.

References:

I Love Libraries. (2020). What Libraries Do. http://www.ilovelibraries.org/what-libraries-do/about-americas-libraries

1. afree011 says:

This is my favorite library in my area, and it’s specifically because of the trails and the peaceful environment this library gives off. It sounds like the library where you work is also a great place! Then again, I love nature, so any space that is around these types of things is really appealing to me.

2. Emily Whittemore says:

Amy,
    I want to sit and read while enjoying the view of the lake at Bowman Library! It looks so relaxing and enjoyable.
    I think that offering video games for checkout and a Lego Club are great ways to get patrons into the building. I host Lego Club at the elementary school where I teach and it is super popular with the kids! Your post actually inspired me to check out the Lego books at our school in order to have some on hand for our club time this week!

1. afree011 says:

I was really impressed by the Lego Club! And it seemed to be pretty popular as there were more kids there than I would have expected. It’s something that I would have loved as a kid! I also think it’s great that you run a similar club at your school! It’s such a creative outlet to engage students.

3. Jennifer Schumacher says:

I enjoyed reading about Bowman Library. The placement of the library next to a trail reminded me of Emily’s post about Varina. I think the setting of a library is just as important as what can be found inside. For those patrons who telework it seems like it would be a good place to work away from home.

1. afree011 says:

I was also reminded of Emily’s post about Varina! I was a little surprised to see so many people there sitting and working, but the atmosphere at this library was very soothing, so I can see why it would be attractive (and I’m sure being a WIFI spot has a lot to do with it too).

4. aacke006 says:

Amy,

What I liked most about this particular library observation was how clear it is that the Bowman Library is invested in drawing young adults into their space. Like you, I would have loved to have access to some of the programming offered such as the DIY Glitter Jars and the “Teen 10 to Try” reading challenge. Teens can be a hard demographic to connect with because they are often busy learning how to balance the responsibilities of school, extracurricular activities like sports or band, and sometimes even a job! Targeted and meaningful programming can go a long way to engage teens.

I also thought the video game checkout was very interesting! When I was doing research for how to organize a board game library in my own library, I ran across many articles and librarian anecdotes about varied levels of success with video game checkout. Some libraries were even attempting to purchase multi-user licenses for the gaming marketplace Steam. I wonder what the statistics look like for circulation and losses with the video games at this library?

Thank you so much for sharing this visit with us!
    -Allison

5. msuth005 says:

Amy, The Bowman library looks like such a calming and welcoming library environment. What great views are featured here. I also enjoyed hearing about the great programs and resources that are available to teens. I think that by having programming for young adults and an environment that is appealing to them, libraries will create a user base that will continue into their adulthood. The lego program is something that I have seen in my public library and I know that it has been a great success. I love seeing the creative ideas that librarians come up with like the calming glitter jars. I think we could all use one of those! Thanks for your great summary of your visit!