Academic Library Visit

Simpson Library at the University of Mary Washington

Digital Access

Simpson library serves the 4300 undergraduate students and 350 graduate students of Mary Washington University, in Fredericksburg VA. Students of other Virginia universities are also given access. Residents in the surrounding areas can use the library for their academic needs as well. The website is set up to help students navigate the library and integrate it into their classes. 

The website is easy to navigate. It  gives students access to Quest, journals, the catalog, databases and guides. There is a place for students to ask questions and get help on research as well as a long list of “how to” do various tasks for college students. There is also a link to help students with accessibility issues. There is a separate link for Special Collections and University Archives.

Library staff are listed by name online, along with their phone numbers and email addresses. They have librarians for reference, Electronic Resources and Systems and Discovery. There are staff members for Records, Circulation, and Interlibrary Loans. I spoke with the Head of Access Services and Outreach, who was at the circulation desk upon my arrival, and he was willing to give me an overview of the library and answer any questions. They also have technology help and supervisors. 

The Space and Physical Access

Simpson Library is a large brick building located in the center of the University of Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The university map clearly marked which walking paths were wheelchair accessible, allowing students with wheelchairs to to chart out a route to the library. There is handicapped parking outside of the library, but people not living on the campus park off campus on the street and walk in. There are cafes and nooks with benches along the path and bike racks nearby as well. Signs clearly indicate the names of the buildings on more than just the entry side, which is useful when navigating a college campus. Inside the doors, the circulation desk, Interlibrary Loan, Textbook lending, and Referenced desk are immediately visible upon entering. Public computers are also easily accessible on the first floor, as well as seating areas, a fish tank, and couches. The second floor has study carrels lining the outer walls with books in the center, as well as small group rooms and a classroom. It also houses the Special Collections and University Archives which require and appointment for access .

The third floor is similar with the addition of 2 sun rooms with couches and what the Head of Access Services and Outreach provider described as the most notable feature of the library, double decker study carrels called the Tree Houses. 

Groel, C. (2022). Treehouses at UMW [Photograph]. CC BY NC

While the space has not been recently renovated, it is comfortable and inviting. Students and patrons with mobility issues work with staff to help with access to high shelves, while other students work through the Office of Disabilities to get the support they need.

Services and Intellectual Access

The library offers a variety of assistance to students with learning how to do research and accessing information they need. Reference librarians are on staff to help teach students how to navigate the databases. Interlibrary Loan allows students to get materials from other libraries. While visiting the library, a staff member was telling a group of incoming freshmen that they could get practically anything they would need, for free. Peer mentors are available for research help as well as writing help. Signs in the library label clearly what different sections are, and the library catalog is available online through the webpage. With some assistance, it feels as if all are welcome in the library. 

The library used to use the Dewey Decimal System, but now the material is organized by the Library of Congress system. Rubin (2020) points out that “the use of the DDC is steadily declining among academic libraries” and that “The Library of Congress Classification system is now the standard for academic libraries.” (Rubin, pg 340)

People – Patrons and Staff

This library serves almost exclusively people who are interested in academic research or learning. While UMW students are the primary focus, I was welcomed and introduced to the services the library offers as an ODU student. There are 19 people on staff at the library with very little, if any, duplication of duties. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and willing to answer any questions I had. I listened to a short presentation to incoming freshmen, and the presenter stressed the importance of asking the librarians for help. He told them that the librarian could take 2 hours of searching and help them accomplish it in a half an hour. Rubin says that an LIS professional assesses what information a patron needs, have a good knowledge of what is available in media, print, and digitally, and then determine if what they have found satisfies the original need. (Rubin, pg 397) In an academic library, the librarian is also teaching the student how to do this for themselves in the future. This staff seemed up to the task. There were a few students working, as predicted by the staff, in the Tree House double decker study carrols. Mary Washington’s website states that 26% of its students are self-identified minority students, with 34 countries represented in its student body, so there is some ethnic diversity in the population that uses the library. The staff is so friendly and helpful that I imagine most college students would feel comfortable using Simpson Library.

Collections

The resources and collections are clearly aimed for an academic audience. Computers are clearly a driving force in the library’s functioning, as the students can access databases and the catalog through their own computer. Also available are some of the older technology needed to read the older materials. The library houses reference materials, Periodicals, Microforms, Oversized materials, New Books/Popular Reading, DVDs, and The Special Collections & University Archives. Of special interest is the local newspaper, the Free Lance Star in bound editions back to 1946. The bulk of the library is the reference collection, clearly representing the library as academic. 

My Impression

I enjoyed my visit to UMW’s Simpson Library. The staff was welcoming, and I was happy to see the few students working in between terms. The incoming freshmen group was excited to begin their college experience, so it was energizing to be around them. I find it humorous that what surprised me the most was the use of chalk boards in the small group rooms. I actually went into the room to check to see if there truly was chalk on the board ledge. There was! While the décor, lighting, and chalk boards seem out of place in this century, I was taken back a bit to my undergraduate days, and the staff was helpful and clear that they are able to assist all students. All in all, it seems to be a small library with a big heart.

Reference

Rubin, R. E., & Rubin, R. G. (2020). Foundations of library and information
science (5th ed.). ALA Neal-Schuman.

2 Comments Add yours

1. Jenell Steis says:

The academic library I visited did not have 19 staff members, this seems to be a larger library . I have not been to a library that does not use DDC , I would like to. I love the idea of the chalk board.

2. anich015 says:

Wow, that is a lot more staff members than the libraries I visited. The libraries I visited had a median of about 4-5 total staff members. I noticed the Library of Congress being the means of sorting in the academic library I visited as well.