My Visit to A Public Library!

Today’s library visit brings me to the Kempsville Public Library in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/libraries/Pages/home.aspx

This website is the city government website for Virginia Beach.  Once locating the “Library” menu choice under the different departments listed, you can navigate different aspects of programs and services the public libraries offer in the Virginia Beach area.  A patron can access the catalog online once signing in with their library card.  The website also gives times and locations for each branch of the libraries in the city.  There is so much information on the website!  The website takes you to different links to learn about services for the disabled, activities for all age groups, outreach programs, types of technology (like 3-D printing that is available at some branches), ways to volunteer, ways to donate and ways to access materials online.  It is truly comprehensive and has so much information at your fingertips.  There are also links to the different social media outlets pertaining to Virginia Beach’s libraries.  At the very bottom of the webpage there is an area to click to change the translation of the website.  The website might be powered by Google, because it uses Google Translate to do this.  I clicked on it and it can change the website into Spanish, Dutch, Arabic and Chinese, just to name a few languages offered.  I thought this was a great accommodation for the website to have to help those whose first language is not English.

The Kempsville Public Library is located in a building off a main road in Virginia Beach.  It is located near a newly built police department.  The old police station was located right next to the library.  Piles of rubble and construction from the demolition of the old police station remain next to the library.  This doesn’t inhibit the patrons coming and going from the library, but it does make the aesthetics next to the library still look like a construction zone.  Outside the library, the parking is spacious and has a newly paved handicap area.  The spaces are clearly marked and make an easy exit for those who are disabled.  There was a bike rack and some sitting areas outside the library.  Also near the entrance of the library is a little loop that has signs labeled “5-minute parking” for quick dashes into the library.  This interloop is also handy for those returning books.  The library has a return drop that is located at the front of the building.  It is an automated drop box – you hold your book in front of the box and box opens allowing you to put your book on a conveyor belt that goes into the building, thus returning your book!  I thought that piece of technology was pretty cool.

Once you enter the library, the circulation desks are near the front on your right.  On the left, is an area dedicated to large print books.  In the middle of the library are DVDs and audiobooks and various sitting areas.  If you continue toward the left of the library you will find all the adult fiction books and young adult fiction books.  Also, toward the left, there is an enclosed area for the children’s books with a desk for the children’s librarian and an area for storytime activities.  Toward the right in the library is a teen section, the reference section and the non-fiction books as well as one large meeting room.  The back of the library has a “quiet zone” that is comprised of partitioned desks and chairs.  There are also two small meeting areas and an enclosed area that is one big room of computers and desks.

The décor is welcoming and the lighting made it feel inviting.  The sitting areas have both comfortable seating available (such as comfy chairs and small sofa seats) and chairs for doing work at a table.  The children’s area has small, colorful seating and low shelves for easy accessibility.  The teen section has comfortable seating and gaming consoles for patrons to play on.  There was also an interactive Smartboard of some sort that was also displayed in the area.  I would imagine that the “techie” teens would love this area (and honestly, what teens aren’t techie? :)).  In a way, it seemed that this library really had a goal to accommodate the teenagers that they might serve.  According to Rubin & Rubin (2020), teens can use the public library for school-related activities as well as exploring interests and having a place to socialize (p. 113).  The section was clearly defined for a teen and had the technology and games that would attract a teen to the library.  This library might have a high number of teenagers that visit it, so accommodating them would be a benefit to the community.

Teen Area

I visited this library on a Monday afternoon.  During this time, I saw several small children with their moms in the children’s section, a few people in the computer area of the library, one room being used by what looked like a tutor and a high school student, and several people using the “quiet zone”.  There were several librarians in the library when I visited.  There was one in the children’s section and three at the main circulation desk.  Out of the four, three were white women and one was a male African American.  I also saw several volunteers shelving books.  While I was there, a patron asked the librarian for Keto diet books.  The librarian was happy to help her and showed her where to find them on the shelf.

Display for Disability Awareness Month near the Teen Area

Throughout the library there were stations to access the card catalog.  There were free standing computers near the different sections of the library (a few computers to use the card catalog near the fiction section, a few near the non-fiction section, etc.).  The sections were clearly marked as to what books one would find in that area.  I found graphic novels clearly displayed in all sections of the library.  There were graphic novel areas in the adult fiction, teen fiction, and young adult sections.  This library seems to have a lot of graphic novel readers! 🙂 I also noticed a section of books in different languages.  It wasn’t a large section but there were several books in Spanish.  It was nice to see that if someone wanted a book in their native language, it was available.  There were also several displays around the library highlighting books about the Celtic culture and Ireland, a display of books near the young adult section highlighting March as Disability Awareness Month, and displays showcasing new books.  There was also a “seed library” that was sponsored by the Virginia Beach Master Gardeners.  You could pick up a couple of seed packets and information about germination for your garden.  How fun and perfect for the coming spring weather!

Shelf lined with graphic novels

Overall, I was impressed with this library.  I remember going to this library as a kid and I see the improvements and renovations that have taken place since the many years ago.  The space seems more inviting now than it did then.  Back when I went as a kid, I felt like I could search the shelves, get a book, and leave.  But the atmosphere in the library seems now to be a safe place to, yes, find a book, but to stay and enjoy the amenities of the library.  As a teen, with the special area designated for teens, I can see how one would want to stay and either get work done or have a quiet place to gather with friends.  The library has more of a community feel than just a place to go and get books. 

Reference

Rubin, R. E., & Rubin, R. G. (2020). Foundations of library and information sciences (5th ed.).

ALA Neal-Schuman.

5 Comments Add yours

1. cmeri003 says:

The teen section of this library sounds amazing! I don’t think I have ever seen video game consoles in a library before but that is definitely a unique addition to a collection. I was also surprised to read that there was a substantial amount of graphic novels available. In the public library I visited the graphic novel selection was very small so it is nice to see that this library knows the popularity of graphic novels and is giving its patrons access.

1. lprok001 says:

I was impressed by the graphic novels too. Most were the typical anime type graphic novels but there were some DC comic ones…and a lot of them!

2. Chelsea Wood says:

It’s great to hear that the website, even though it’s a branch of the government website, has so much to offer! Ours is also part of our government’s website and while it’s not bad, I think it could use a bit more sprucing up! I did love reading that the teen section has game consoles, and I’d love to pick these librarians’ brains about how they monitor and share the consoles among the teens – for research purposes! (we’re about to get an Xbox and I’m curious about how to give everyone an equal chance). The Disability Awareness display is a great touch, it also gives an insight on the diversity of the collection which is a huge plus!

3. ybang001 says:

It’s great to hear that this library has a lot of graphic novels! I personally love reading a lot, I mean A LOT of mangas (which are Japanese comic books). There has been some stigmatization that graphic novels are only for kids or aren’t really a book, but I really hope that people come to realize some of them actually have great characters and stories and it isn’t only for kids to read. It’s also great that you got to visit a library that you went to as a kid and see how it changed. The public library I visited was the place I would go to a lot during my middle and high school years so it was very nostalgic to experience the same place in a different way.

4. smcmi008 says:

Lisa it is nice to see the library being inclusive, especially concerning Disability Awareness month. I think it is difficult to engage most teens in the library activities, unless they like to read a lot. The game consoles could draw them in, then they can pick up a book on the way out. I prefer the higher chairs and the plastic chairs are more comfortable than wooden chairs. I can see, like Chelsea said, that monitoring how long a teen is on a game console may become an issue. Nevertheless, it is a nice feature.