Layered Reality – Sandbox #6

For this sandbox, I took a virtual trip to Mount Everest!  It is a place that I will never visit in real life (why hike someplace so cold??) so it was a great opportunity to visit it virtually.  When scrolling through the photographs, you were able to move them for a panoramic view of the mountain.  The tour took you through the different base camps with several facts about what you were looking at.  I thought that was important an important factor to the virtual tour.  Without the descriptions, I would have had no idea what I was viewing and I liked knowing some fun facts as well.  For example, there is an ice glacier that actively moves near the base of the mountain.  The best time to cross it is in the morning because it is pretty solid from the overnight hours. 

When it comes to using the “layered reality” in the classroom or library, I think using it is a great opportunity to expand the reach of information to the students.  Using sites for things, such as virtual field trips, is something that is easy for students to access and can broaden their horizons.  Knowing that they may never go to some places (like myself and Mount Everest), they can still see places and have an experience that they will remember better than just reading about it in a book (immersionvr.co.uk).  Making the most of the technology and connecting it the curriculum is definitely something to be mindful of for teachers and media specialists (Young, 2020).  While it is fun to explore far off places (and that is something that should be made available to students), connecting it to the curriculum can really extend and create a deeper, more meaningful study on a subject.  I know virtual field trips to places and different lands was something that was used a lot during the pandemic but I think there is value in it and it should continue even after everything is back open again.  It can’t replace the real thing but a virtual field trip could be an option.

Scan for a virtual trip!

(Side note: I created the QR code with QRCodeMonkey.com. I’ve never had to make one before and I thought it was more complicated.  Thanks to this website, not so much :))

References:

www.immersionvr.co.uk/about-360vr/vr-for-education

Young, L. (2020). Get the most from AR/VR technology without breaking the budget. School Library Journal. Retrieved from: https://www.slj.com/story/get-the-most-from-ar-vr-technology-without-breaking-budget-library

6 Comments Add yours

1. sberr006 says:

Lisa, your ideas of incorporating layered realities are fantastic. I, too, will never have an opportunity to climb Mt. Everest, so what an exciting opportunity for not only students but adults who may not have the means to travel to experience other cultures and places in the world. Thank you, technology!

2. Kat D'Amico says:

I agree with you that it would be beneficial to keep using virtual tours even though the pandemic has changed traveling restrictions again. There are so many places, like Mount Everest, that students will never have an opportunity to see. How wonderful that we can bring them that experience through the QR codes!

3. kscot044 says:

I love the idea of visiting places you couldn’t possibly or rather wouldn’t dare go in real life. I know that we don’t have the funds or transportation to visit far away places, but I think virtual field trips are also beneficial for disabled teachers and students. Thanks for sharing!

4. mmerr007 says:

I too thought that creating a QR code would be more difficult than it was. It’s fun learning so many digital tools and language.
    I’m now going to visit Mt Everest virtually, thanks for the recommendation.
    -Marina

5. lhall004 says:

Mount Everest! It’s so cool that our students, or anyone, can have these experiences. I especially think of people who may be physically or economically unable to travel. You’re correct – there are so many great curricular connections to be made here. What a wonderful thing!

6. kshar016 says:

I agree that connecting VR to curriculum is important. I especially like to have them “do” something with the experience.