The public school that I decided to report on was Smithfield High School in Smithfield, Virginia.

Space

With this library, I relied on a virtual tour of the space to observe it. The video that I watched was from June 2021 showing the library’s recent renovation. Some things that changed during the renovation were that the library got new carpet and furniture. Based on the before and after, the furniture looks more comfortable with couches, tables, and chairs with cushions all around for students to use. New rooms that the library made include a cafe area, makerspace, sound studio and green room for filming, and collaboration cubicles for small groups to meet and work on projects. There are signs above each bookshelf saying what the genre of books is.

Services

The students have access to filming equipment for doing videos, a makerspace that has flat surfaces for projects and an apple tv, as well as audiobooks. While I am sure the catalog is available in the library, when I went to the website in order to use it I would have to have an account. The library uses the Dewey Decimal classification system.

Patrons and Staff

The library serves both high school students and staff. When you go to the Smithfield High School website you will find two or three library staff members. To get in contact with the library, two staff members have work emails but there is also a library phone number. The library has its own social media but I am not sure how often messages there are checked but they seem to actively use Twitter and Instagram during the school year. There is also a YouTube channel that the school uses for the morning news.

Collection

There is a lot of new technology with the renovation as I have shared earlier. They also have audiobooks available as well as ebooks through the school website.

Digital Access

Delvers, S. (2022) SHS website [Screenshoot]

URL: https://shs.iwcs.k12.va.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=413029&type=d&pREC_ID=901397

URL: https://sites.google.com/iwcs.k12.va.us/smithfieldhighlibrary/home?authuser=0

I included two URLs as one is what I found through google search and one is what you are taken too if you look under the student tab. This website is very confusing to me and I had to google the library to figure out where on the school’s website information about the library was. There is also some confusion as depending on where you look, the website either says there are two staff members in the library or three. Once you get to the student/teacher library site it is easier to figure out. On the student/teacher site, there is library news, researching and reading, information about the Library Advisory Council, and the school report for students. For teachers, the website advertises that the library can help with collaboration, curation of resources, and co-teaching. The SHS library also has a Canvas with a variety of resources and how-to videos.

Other

The library has a Library Advisory Council made up of students that plan events and activities in the library, create book displays, promote reading, and share what is happening on instagram. Looking at the pictures, it also shows that the library is used for a lot of after school clubs and activities such as robot club and video game tournaments demonstrating one of the six core beliefs of school libraries that Rubin and Rubin (2020) talked about the school library being the “third place” between school and home (p. 122). Not only is the library for reading but socializing as well.

Reference

Rubin, R. E. & Rubin, R.G (2020). Foundations of library and information science (5th ed). ALA Neal-Schuman.