WordPress Blog 4

Directions

Sometimes, document design and editing involves formatting documents so that they can be filtered easily into another program, such as InDesign, or so that they’ll display properly when being published to online spaces. To practice with this, you’re going to open a Word document and format it by applying styles. 

• Highlight a section that you want to designate with a certain style, and then select the appropriate style from the list. To view which style is being used in any part of this document, place your cursor on your text and look at the “Current style” field in the Styles pane.
  • Copy and paste one heading and three body paragraphs of dummy text into your Word document. 
  • Format the Word document with three styles. 
    • Style 1: Head1 (for the heading)
    • Style 2: PostHeadPara (for body paragraph 1)
    • Style 3: Para (for body paragraph 2)
  • Save the Word document and upload it as a file to your Blog post, along with 100 words on the following: What kind of experience do you have with the tools and features of Microsoft Word for formatting text (applying styles, adjusting spacing between lines, adjusting paragraph spacing, using the ruler for indentation instead of tab, etc.)
WordPress-Blog-4-Post

Overall, this exercise was really useful! I messed around with different formatting tools and styles for each of my styles. While I wouldn’t use these on the same document, at least the “PostHeadPara” and “Para” styles, because of their extreme contrast, I wanted to see how different I could make styles. The heading was just the basic heading that comes with Word.

I appreciate the exposure to the styles tool, and I think it will help me a lot with the client service project, as I want to create a hierarchy of information, and styles of text are one of the ways I’m considering doing this.

I need to create a way to emphasize the different classes and their specific requirements and timelines. I don’t know if I want to use symbols, colors, textual differences, or something else entirely. While I’m not sure of the exact direction I ought to move, I do know that having this tool at my disposal and in my arsenal will only benefit me.