Sandbox #7

I decided to go the 3D printing route. I’ve always found 3D printing to be one of the coolest technological advantages of recent years. It is amazing how we can know 3D print heart valves and other body parts that can save people. The American Library Association lists many useful and engaging ways 3D printing can be incorporated into the library. Most importantly, activities in which children, teens, or families cook together are filled with opportunities to practice computational thinking. (American Library Association, 2018) This being said, this might be the silliest looking 3D national park anyone has ever seen. I tried my best in the hour to make something half decent looking. It was very easy to search for images and characters. I do feel like the selection on Tinkercard was limited. The site allows you to upload, but I could not figure out what image/item could be uploaded. My greatest failure was not being about to rotate the national park name to stand upright. I spent a large portion of time trying to make that work. This was a fun experience, and I wish my vision could have been more accurately created. Below are the images from all sides. I had to delete the fencing around the park so you can see all the trees and people. 

3D printing will continue to be a large part of technology moving forward. It is exciting that educators are already incorporating 3D printing into the classroom. In Flilp’s article, he describes his school’s opportunity to work 3D printing in the classroom. It is even more exciting that his classroom is right in our backyard in Virginia! Introducing 3D printing does have a pretty large learning curve. You can really appreciate how much time and effort the kids take to create their prints. It is always an accomplishment when your students take time and care and are so passionate they work on it at home. I am starting a new position as a library assistant at a middle school in August, and I am eager to take many of these sandbox exercises with me. 

American Library Association (2018) How Computational Thinking Fits within Library Services.

Filip (2019, February 28) Making a Place for “3D” in our School Library. IMADE 3D

2 Comments Add yours

1. sblak004 says:

I have no idea how you even created a park on Tinkercad. This was probably one of the most challenging sandboxes. I felt like I could barely get anything out of my time on the website. I’m impressed with yours and love the creativity. Good luck with your new job this year! How exciting that you will have first hand experience in the job as you complete your degree!

1. lfaul001 says:

I used “park” as a loose term but I was pretty happy over all.