LIBS 602 -Sandbox #1

Sandbox #1: About Me Word Cloud

Why Word Art?

I used WordArt to create my word cloud. However, I did test each tool presented in the Sandbox to see the design variations and possibilities. I preferred WordArt due to the various design options available to me. I have seen teachers use Word Clouds for ice breaker activities that appear as a standard design such as Word It Out. Monkey Cloud Word Generator is user-friendly. You simply enter your text and the word cloud instantly appears. There is some color, font, and theme variations, but not as intricate as WordArt. I also liked the visuals of ABCya Word Cloud. There are additional colors, fonts, and shape variations than Word It Out, and Monkey Cloud. Below is my Word Cloud from ABCya.

The most unique generator was Answer Garden. I found it clunky for this particular assignment but could see it utilized creatively in a classroom or library as a brainstorming activity with students. Although I didn’t see an option to change the design of the word cloud, I still believe this generator is a useful method for student engagement. I was pleased to discover WordArt offers various colors, fonts, and shapes which is why I liked it best for this assignment. Additionally, I found it to be extremely user-friendly. Using WordArt, you can develop fun and appealing designs to show your students your unique personality.

Utilization of Word Clouds

There are several creative ways to utilize word clouds. I can envision myself using any of the tools in the Sandbox during library orientation. At the beginning of the year when students visit the library as a class, the first thing after introducing myself and all library staff would be to create a word cloud to gather students’ knowledge of what they know about libraries and also how they view the library. Then after completing the library orientation which includes policies and procedures, a tour of the space and collection, in addition to other services we provide like our Makerspace, puzzles, and games available, I would ask students to complete another word cloud based on the information they learned during orientation. This will allow students to compare the results of both word clouds to see how their views changed.

14 Comments Add yours

1. kdami003 says:

I love your word cloud! I think the bird gives off a peaceful feeling with some beautiful colors. I also think the idea of using this activity with orientation is a wonderful idea. It would give the students a good idea of what words are associated with a library. Great job!

1. sberr006 says:

Thank you! I had fun making it. I liked how there are many shape options to choose from. I selected each one to see how my word cloud looked. I decided to go with the bird because it reminds me of my mom and how happy it makes her to watch the birds in her yard.

2. kshar016 says:

That’s a really neat word cloud. I love how some of the words really jump out at you! I also love your idea for using the word cloud in orientation. I think that might be interesting during a first week of classes when you are going over class expectations – as long as all of the students have their computers by the time you do the activity! I’m looking forward to using Answer Garden too!

1. Steph Moreno says:

Answer Garden was unique and a tool I haven’t seen used before so I look forward to using it at some point!

3. lprok001 says:

Your bird is so pretty! Great color choices! I also like you idea for library orientation. With all of options in design for the word cloud through Word Art, the students should be engaged with their creations.

1. Steph Moreno says:

Thank you! It was fun making them and thinking of ways how to incorporate them in lessons.

4. anich015 says:

I love your bird word cloud and the color and font choices! I preferred wordart as well out of all of the sandbox tools due to the customization options and various shapes of the word cloud.

1. Steph Moreno says:

Thank you!

5. kscot044 says:

Your idea to use word clouds as an anticipatory set and again as a formative assessment is brilliant!

1. Steph Moreno says:

Thank you!

6. lhall004 says:

I also love WordArt . It’s user-friendly and has more choices than many of the other (free) options. Library orientation is a great way to utilize word clouds. There are so many different ways they can be implemented! Thanks for sharing.

1. Steph Moreno says:

I appreciate that “free” is an option, especially for teachers!

7. ybang001 says:

I really like your word cloud! I have also loved using Wordart as it had A LOT of different customization available which gave freedom to the creator. I feel like even with shapes, you can show things to people that cannot be said with words.

1. Steph Moreno says:

I completely agree! Customizing color and shapes adds extra character to the design and shares even more of a story.