This week, we learned about infographics. Infographic, according to Merriam-Webster, is “a chart, diagram, or illustration that uses graphic elements to present information in a visually striking way”. (Merriam-Webster, 2014). We tried three different programs to make infographics; Canva, Piktochart, and Easel.ly.

This is my attempt at an infographic using Canva, which is my favorite of the three. As someone who just had a baby, I made it about why a baby may be crying based on my recent experience. Canva has a huge selection of templates ranging from simple, like the one I used, to more intricate. This is wonderful for not only teachers or librarians that may not feel comfortable with tech or graphic design but for students as well! If they are reading books on different animals, they could do an infographic on what a bear eats or the many different type of wild cats. I would use this in the library to show the rules of the library, or giving 10 fun facts about a particular author for that month.

Another reason I like Canva is because you can search for pictures to put onto the infographic. There are some images you would have to pay for but lots are free. Easel.ly also has this feature but Piktochart does not unless you are looking for a photo or shape. Piktochart was not one I would probably use again until I felt more comfortable. It has a lot of amazing templetes but a majority are the more intricate designs with a lot going on. I picked one about do’s and don’ts, which was one of the more simpler ones, but it took me awhile to figure out all the parts. Easel.ly wasn’t a bad program, but unless you pay for it, you don’t get as many free options like you do with Canva.

Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Infographic. In Merriam-Webster.com dictionary. Retrieved June 2nd, 2022, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infographic