Personal Experiences and Backgrounds

BLOG 1

What experiences, if any, have you had designing and/or developing print or digital documents that integrate words and images (brochures, newsletters, flyers, reports, web sites, etc.)? Please list and describe any projects you have worked on and the technologies used to produce them. What are your expectations in taking this class and what do you hope to accomplish? What, if anything, makes you nervous or unsure in thinking about this class? 

I have not personally had extensive or personal experience in designing or developing print or digital documents. However, I have taken a Digital Writing class for ODU where we designed posters for local restaurants. I opted to do Alkaline, a local ramen shop in Ghent Area, and enjoyed creating an infographic using the shops theme colors and the general vibe and aura for images, and enjoyed finding the best way to include all the important details in a aesthetic and user friendly way. This class also involved an assignment where we created a website using basic HTML. While I had no prior experience or skill in coding, it was broken down in way that was understandable and I was able to code an entire, pretty webpage with teal and tan colors themes and gentle aesthetic. The webpage was entirely focused on extolling the great wonder that is coffee, which certainly added to the enjoyability of the project.

I’ve never really had any experience with either Adobe nor WordPress, but I’m excited to get familiar with them and learn how to use them. I’m hoping to take my interest and inspiration and drive to enjoy this class and gain useful skills that I could then translate into my personal and professional life hereon. I’m not too nervous about anything, but my lack of any prior background in related projects or experience does cause slight pause, as well as the knowledge that I will also need to juggle my athletics and heavy traveling. However, I think I’m mostly excited to make the most of my last semester in undergrad to learn something new.