Considering Podcasts and Listening

At the outset, I need to tell you that I am a voracious reader.  I do, however, listen to books on tape.  When I listen to books on tape, I am almost always multitasking: I’m in the car, I’m cleaning, I’m exercising, or I’m walking the dog.  Audio books are basically my companions when I’m not reading.

This week’s assignment to listen to a podcast was challenging in that I had a hard time just sitting and listening.  I did type some notes about the discussion though – so I was still multitasking at a minimal level.  I listened to Episode 138 of Bookclub for masochists in which librarians read and review books in every genre even if they don’t like them (hence, the masochist part of the name).  Their website states their mission is “becoming better library staff by reading every genre, whether we like them or not!” (midnitelibrary, 2021).  This particular episode reflected on adaptations from books and comics into other forms of media.  It was engaging and interesting.  As ChimesRadio suggests to parents, listening engaged my imagination and let me draw connections with other books I know that have been adapted into movies or TV series (ChimesRadio, para. 6).  On the downside, I felt the need to contribute to the conversation, but alas, a podcast is one way communication.

Even though not recorded, reading to my children every night helped my kids “develop and hone [their] visualization and imagination skills” while also helping them develop knowledge, vocabulary, and comprehension (ChimesRadio, para. 16).  I have to say it also had the added benefit of helping my kids wind down from the day, calm themselves, and settle into bed.

After listening to the podcast – I came to the conclusion that before I get another book on tape, I might download some podcasts and listen to those instead.  The podcasts that particularly interested me for future listening:

• Cyberpunk librarian – all things technology in the library
  • Librarian and Loves – book reviews and librarian professional development
  • The Library Pros – an executive librarian and computer IT guys discussing libraries and all things this side of the reference desk 
  • Lost in the Stacks – college radio show at Georgia Tech – discuss music, and conduct interviews on whatever library topics they please

ChimesRadio (no date).  ChimesRadio parent blog.  https://chimesradio.com/parenting-blogs/why-audio-content-is-best/ 

Midnitelibrary (2021). Book Club for Masochists: A Reader’s Advisory Podcast. https://bookclub4m.tumblr.com/post/668154072661098496/episode-138-adaptations .