Word Cloud – Sandbox #1

This word cloud is brought to you by WordArt.com.  This website had many different options of shapes and fonts to allow one to be creative in the formation of a word cloud.  I thought it was easy to generate the word cloud and I liked the variety of the options of shapes that could be used.  I also explored the ABCya word cloud generator.  Although I thought the shapes offered for this word cloud generator were lacking in their creativity (WordArt.com was better in that department), I liked the user-friendly buttons and graphics that were used.  A young child could easily navigate this word cloud generator.  The word cloud generator by Word It Out was easy to navigate and generated a basic cloud.  There were no fun shapes to use and it seemed to only repeat the word once but, depending on the font, this could be a good choice for a basic cloud.  My least favorite word cloud generator was Monkey Learn Word Cloud Generator.  It seemed static in design and didn’t have many graphics.  When I was trying to make a word cloud, it was kind of boring in both product and process of design.  I would definitely use WordArt.com to generate a word cloud for different uses in the library.  I can see this tool being used for labeling different genres in a library.  This could also be a good tool to use to create a project for students.  Students could create a word cloud using adjectives to describe characters in books.  They could also make word clouds to summarize books by using key words.  A word cloud could also be made by using parts of a book for young readers or by using library vocabulary for a fun activity (for example: Non-Fiction, Fiction, Check-Out, Bookshelf, etc).  Fun activities to incorporate technology and language! 🙂

Example of a Word Cloud that a student could generate for a lesson on a fairy tale

5 Comments Add yours

1. kshar016 says:

I love the fairy tale crown motif! That’s a lot of fun. I could do the same thing with a story in French class!

2. Steph Moreno says:

Your word cloud really stood out to me and the color choices were aesthetically pleasing. I enjoyed learning more about you and also thought your idea using word cloud generators in the classroom was creative and engaging.

3. anich015 says:

Hello. I used WordArt as well due to it being easy to use and having various customization options! I love how you provided a visual word cloud example of how a student could utilize one in a classroom! Also, I noticed we have some things in common from your word cloud!

4. kscot044 says:

Word Art is a winner in my book too. It isn’t as user friendly as some of the other websites, but all the extra features are worth it. I like your idea of using it to label genres in the library. Your word clouds would make inviting posters!

5. ybang001 says:

Hi Lisa! I really like your example of how the word cloud could be used for a student. I would love to make students create a word cloud depending on what book they read for the semester with a shape that matches the book. I also mentioned in my blog that I liked using Wordart the most as it was easy to customize and have great freedom within that.