Cyber Defense Fundamentals
This course introduces students to cyber security and defense. The course will primarily focus on cybersecurity theory, information protection and assurance, and computer systems and networks security. This course provides the essentials for understanding the security threats to information systems, the methods to counter these threats, and the state-of-the-art implementations and applications of cybersecurity systems. The objectives are to
- understand the basic security models, concepts, possible attacks, and cryptographic applications,
- learn basic mathematic knowledge and tools for building, analyzing, and attacking modern cryptographic systems,
- understand cryptographic algorithms for symmetrical encryption, public key encryption, hash function and digital signature,
- gain hands-on experience in implementing and applying cryptographic algorithms,
- understand security fundamental principles, and
- understand Internet security protocol and standards.
Please provide a brief overview of your work within this course, explaining how you engaged with the above learning outcomes. You will want to include examples of your assignments that demonstrate your practice with these concepts, explaining what you did and how it helped you learn. You may include embedded versions of your material, pictures, audio explaining your work, a video, so on (Tutorials: Adding and Embedding Media, Plugin: Simple YouTube Embed, More). Remember that you are trying to convince an unfamiliar audience that you 1) have working knowledge of these concepts 2) can demonstrate your skill in relation to these concepts 3) they want to spend time learning more about your knowledge and skills. Finally, you will want to indicate how you can use this knowledge in the future, specifically within your chosen discipline.
Be sure to remove this instructional language when you have completed updating content on this page.