Into the past.

Today was the most profound teaching experience I’ve ever had, the culmination of years of work, reflection, research, and networking. Today Michał, Renata, and Hubert from Yahad-in Unum led Tom, the students, and I deep into the past. They introduced us to the world of witnesses, children who long ago sat atop trees or perched on walls and watched genocide happen before their eyes, and now as old men these scenes play over and over in their minds. The witnesses guided us to these places to relay what they saw. And so we visited sites in the middle of woods where no one has been for so very long, where horror still hangs in the air and cries, although silent, still ring in one’s ears in these places linked to the Wolborski Forest and to the landscape outside Tomaszow Mazowiecki. Today, at these execution sites, Kaddish was finally said by one of my students. To witness all of this, to hear Elena’s sweet, sweet voice singing the Mourner’s Kaddish while surrounded by my ODU students gave me goose bumps. A long path culminated in that moment with a feeling that we had been quite right to come to Poland to study the Holocaust, we had done something of great importance. In that moment I felt proud of my seven students and their willingness to believe in humanity, even when confronted with the horrific past.

Climbing a wall to watch an execution, 1941-2
With a Witness
Into the Woods

1 comment

• I sabell Rossignol on May 27, 2019 at 2:33 pm
    • Reply

As I read your post I felt so many emotions. My parents were survivors and told me these stories too. Thank you all for letting the World know that these atrocities took place all over German occupied territories. This Genocide took place outside of the Concentration camps.