Click the drop-down menu, or use the links below to explore national and local mental health resources.
Local Resources (Coastal Virginia)
Information About Supporting Someone Else
If you are thinking about hurting yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help right away:
**Ask a family member or friend to help you make these calls or take you to the hospital**
- Call your therapist or counselor
- Call your doctor’s office
- Contact one of the free, 24-hour crisis resources listed below to speak with a trained crisis counselor
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room
- Call 911 for emergency services
If you have a family member or friend in a crisis:
If you have a family member or friend who is suicidal, do not leave them alone. Try to get the person to seek help immediately from a mental health professional, physician, or the emergency room. Take seriously any comments about suicide or wishing to die. Even if you do not believe your family member or friend will actually attempt suicide, the person is clearly in distress and can benefit from your help in receiving mental health treatment.