Final Reflection

1. Study habits
    1. How much time do you spend studying for each class now vs. at the beginning of the semester? 

In the beginning of the semester I spent about an hour or so studying and just doing assignments and moving onto the next subject. I didn’t really spend any extra time reviewing each subject. Currently, I spend anywhere from three to five hours doing work or more depending on the day. For an example yesterday I spent over six hours doing work for various courses.

1. What specific study techniques do you think work best for you? 

I think the study technique that works best for me is having something else quiz me on information or making flash cards. Simply reviewing notes or skimming over information did not prove to be successful. Having someone quiz me on information or using flashcards helps ensure that I will be able to recall the information without having it right in front of me. 

1. How do these vary from class to class? 

This varies from class to class because something such as flashcards wouldn’t work well for a subject like math. To study for math I would usually just review worksheets or practice using Aleks. For a subject like sociology I would be okay using flashcards. Then for chemistry I would probably have someone quiz me or do some practice problems. 

1. Transition to college
  1. What did you expect college would be like 14 weeks ago? 

I honestly thought that college would be fairly easy. I thought that I would spend a lot of time hanging out with friends and possibly joining a sorority. I knew that I was good at science in highschool and I figured applying that would be easy. Although, chemistry is not my strongpoint. I found my major to be a lot more difficult than I expected and I had a lot to learn when it came to managing my time.

1. What is a resource or activity you have found helpful this semester? 

One resource that I found helpful this semester was the library. I spent a lot of time at the library with my cousin after chemistry lab. It helped provide me with a nice quiet environment where I could really focus. It also helped a lot when I needed to print out papers for classes and if I ever needed extra help with work I could do work with other people there. 

1. What is something you wish you knew 14 weeks ago?  

Something that I wish I knew 14 weeks ago would be that sometimes it’s important to stay in and do work just because you’re in college doesn’t mean that you need to go out and do everything like you’re missing out on something. I also wish that I would’ve known about the math and science center and utilized my resources more. Lastly, I wish that I would’ve  known how important it was to get acquainted with others and explore the campus because I feel as though I might’ve missed out on the whole “college experience” a bit.

1. Name something you have learned this semester that will assist you next semester? 

One thing that I have learned this semester would be that it’s very important that you learn from your mistakes. If something isn’t working out don’t continue to do the same thing try a different technique. Even when it feels like you’ve tried everything it’s important to stay motivated and continue to try your best no matter how many times you succeed because you’ll never succeed if you don’t even try.