Parallel Major

Students in the College of Health Sciences are advised to have a Parallel Plan. A Parallel Plan can help address the question of “what if I do not get into my intended major?” One option for a parallel planning is selecting a Parallel Major.

In this assignment each student will be asked to answer/identify each of the following:

1. List your Parallel Major. Your Parallel Major must be an undergraduate degree offered here at ODU.  

Biochemistry

1. Why did you choose this as your Parallel Major?

I chose this as my parallel because I loved studying biology in high school and even though chemistry isn’t my favorite it’s something I know I’ll be interested in.

1. Interesting fact about this major.

Biochemistry plays an important role in the field of forensic science, allowing criminal investigators to seek out criminal based on DNA evidence; the first person convicted of a crime through DNA evidence didn’t take place until 1988.

1. Research at least one career that you can do with this major and provide information on that career.

Biomedical scientist: As a biomedical scientist, you carry out a range of laboratory and scientific tests on tissue samples and fluids to help clinicians diagnose and treat diseases.

Create a plan for pursuing this major

Additional classes required (if applicable) (Use DegreeWorks “What If” analysis)

Additional classes I would need to take would be precalc 2, calculus 1&2, and a plethora of additional chemistry and biology courses.

1. How could you gain professional experiences to learn more about this area of study?

You can gain experience by shadowing a professional or doing internships. 

1. ODU List the advisor for this major (if Parallel Major is outside of the College of Health Sciences). Directory of Advisors website 

Pinky McCoy