PEP Team

Promoting Electric Propulsion (PEP) for Small Craft is an educational and competitive program to foster the development of electric boats in the United States. The second PEP competition will be held July 2021 in conjunction with the Multi-Agency Craft Conference. http://www.navalengineers.org/Education/Promoting-Electric-Propulsion-PEP

Neil St. Clair – Hello, My name is Neil St. Clair and I am a senior at Old Dominion University. I am a Mechanical Engineering Technology Major with a concentration in Nuclear Systems. I also have a minor in Engineering Management. Currently, I am in search of an internship. In my spare time, I enjoy watching and playing sports, basketball in particular but have recently begun incorporating yoga. I look forward to completing this project with my team as we prepare to start our careers.
Daniel Erdogan – Hello, My name is Daniel and I am a sophomore at Old Dominion University. I am a Mechanical Engineering Major.
Ryan Brooks – I am a senior at Old Dominion University pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology along with a minor in Motorsports.
Alex Cartwright – So for my bio: Hello, my name is Alex Cartwright and I am a senior at Old Dominion University pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology along with a minor in Engineering Management. I also have the Siemens Mechatronics Certification. I am currently in the process of searching for a new internship after having completed a one-year internship at a train manufacturing company. I enjoy exercising, watching films, and reading and occasionally attempt to learn to program. I plan to hopefully take the FE exam sometime in the fall or early spring.
Michael Jones – My name is Michael Jones, I am currently enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering Technology program at Old Dominion University as a third-year student. My current plans are to graduate in the Fall of 2020. In my current focus in the study is marine design. I have worked an internship that involved waterproofing multiple enclosures and design for the marine environment. After graduation, I plan to work in and around a marine environment.
Kalyn Pierce – Hi! My name is Kalyn Pierce and I am an undergraduate senior at Old Dominion University. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology with a minor in Electrical Engineering Technology and a concentration in Mechatronics. I am currently working for Petco as a Ship From Store Specialist and l recently started as an Undergraduate Researcher at ODU, but I plan to start an internship with the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in the near future. In my free time I like to paint, and craft figures out of silverware. I also enjoy reading and playing various types of video games.
Larry Price – Hello, My name is Larry Price and I am a senior at Old Dominion University. I am an Electrical Engineering Technology Major, concentration in Mechatronics.

Faculty Advisors:

Dr. Vukica Jovanovic has received her M.Eng. and M.S. degrees from the University of Novi Sad (Serbia) in Industrial Engineering, one focused on Mechatronics, Automation, and Robotics, other focused on Production System Design. She holds a Ph.D. from Purdue University in Mechanical Engineering Technology, focus on Digital Manufacturing (Mechanical Engineering Technology. She is a Batten Endowed Fellow and an Associate Professor of Engineering Technology. She serves as a Director of Digital Manufacturing and Mechatronics Lab.
Dr. Tony Dean is an Assistant Dean of Research and Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology at Batten College of Engineering and Technology. He has received a B.S> in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Old Dominion University, an M.B.A. from College of William & Mary, and a Ph.D. in Engineering from Old Dominion University. He does research in marine engineering, naval engineering, controls, additive manufacturing, and other DoD-sponsored projects.
Dr. Orlando Ayala received his BS in Mechanical Engineering with honors (Cum Laude) from Universidad de Oriente (Venezuela) in 1995, MS in Mechanical Engineering in 2001, and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in 2005, both from the University of Delaware (USA). Dr. Ayala is currently serving as Makerspace and Innovation Center Director and Associate Professor of Engineering Technology and works in a Mechanical Engineering Technology program at Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
Dr. Murat Kuzlu received his B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering in 2001, 2004, and 2010, respectively. He is a Director of an Advanced Smart System Lab for Smart City and IoT Applications. He is an Assistant Professor of Engineering Technology and works in an Electrical Engineering Technology program at Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.