Assignment Takeaway

Assignment Takeaway #2

Out of all the pictures that I used I feel like they all represent me as a person. Each picture represents a different trait that I feel is important to who I am. They express that I am very confident, independent, ambitious, and determined. The first picture for confidence is a picture of me wearing a sleeveless shirt which says that I am confident in who I am and what I look like. Independent is a picture of the first day of college when I was moving into the dorms which represented the first day I moved out of my parent’s home. Ambitious is in a picture that shows me getting an award in high school which showed exemplar academic achievements. I determined when I was in a picture while I played football in high school.

These pictures were relevant to who I am and my traits as an individual because they clearly show and exhibit the traits that were described above. In the Confident picture it was a time where I was at my biggest but yet I didn’t let the way I looked shake the way I felt. In the independent picture, it was significant to my life because it launched the first part of my life of which I was living on my own without my parents to help guide me every day. In the ambitious picture, it was present because it was the start of my dedication to my craft and trying to become the very best person that I can be in my social, personal, and professional life. In the determined pictured of me playing football in high school, it was a turning point in my life in which I decided I was going to focus on my future and what I want to do other than what my parents wanted me to do.

Assignment Takeaway #1

There are four different types of heuristics; representativeness, availability, anchoring and adjustment, and status quo that all can lead to false inferences.  The representativeness heuristic is when an individual mentally makes an assumption based on appearance alone.  Such as someone is walking through the store Target and they are looking for an employee for help, they then proceed to walk up to the gentleman wearing a red shirt and ask for help.  The man proceeds to turn around and that individual finds out that they in fact do not work for Target they are just another customer wearing a red shirt.  This is an example because the individual had a mental bias by approaching the gentlemen and asking for help because they had on a redshirt in Target. 

The availability heuristic is the bias of judgment and choices based on the ability to easily remember an example or information about the event. An example of this would be back home in Fredericksburg there was an individual named the “Shopping Cart Killer” where he would kill a female he met cut her up and dispose of her in a shopping cart in select locations. Each time they found a victim it started to seem like murders were becoming more common in the area. This heuristic can lead to false inferences because such as in this example it can lead to an exaggerated statistic, inference, or bias.

The anchoring and adjustment heuristic is when an individual sets a belief or the anchor and makes adjustments as said in the name around the starting point of the particular belief. Just the other day I was looking for a car and saw the price of that very car which was $26,000. Since I am also interested in getting a motorcycle I proceeded to look at those prices and was dumbfounded that the cost of a new motorcycle was rough $7,000-$8,000. Due to this heuristic, it caused me to see the motorcycle as cheap even though the seven thousand to eight thousand dollars is still a lot of money. This heuristic can cause false inference because it can cause an individual’s judgment to be clouded causing their decision to be persuaded and even changed.

The Status Quo heuristic is a bias that can make an individual resistant to change. When I was in high school there were multiple ways to get to the school. However, I only took one route the entire time I could drive even though there were some routes that may take a shorter time to arrive. The thing was that I got used to and comfortable with the one route that I took that I refused to take any other path because I simply did see the need to go down them. The status quo heuristic can cause false inferences because it can persuade an individual to not do something because of the fear of loss or the lack of possible gains.

I Chose this image for a representative visual image because this shows one of the effects of the representative heuristic where the individual in the picture who was a customer and did not work at Target was asked for help to locate products by another customer because he wore a redshirt in the store called Target which is a common uniform for the employees in the store which allowed customers to make inferences based on that information.