baseball

Baseball at ODU

Baseball is one of the athletic programs at Old Dominion University (ODU). Home baseball games take place at the Bud Metheny Baseball Complex. History Baseball at ODU began shortly after the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary began in 1930. The first game took place in March 1931 with A. Rufus Tonelson… read more »

Joseph C. “Scrap” Chandler

Joseph C. “Scrap” Chandler was a former baseball, basketball, swimming, and track coach as well as the athletic director after Thomas L. “Tommy” Scott. History Arriving at the Norfolk Division in 1942, “Scrap” Chandler became the athletic director as well as coach of the baseball, basketball, swimming, and track teams. In addition to the being… read more »

Arthur “Buttons” Speakes

Arthur “Buttons” Speakes was the first African American athlete to be recruited by and receive a scholarship from a predominately white college in Virginia. Old Dominion Accomplishments Speakes was one of the best all-around athletes who ever came to Old Dominion University (ODU). Speakes excelled at both baseball and basketball from 1965 to 1969. An… read more »

Bud Metheny Baseball Complex

The Bud Metheny Baseball Complex, or The Bud familiarly, is home to the Old Dominion University (ODU) baseball team. Located along 43rd Street between Elkhorn Avenue and the ODU Soccer Stadium, the facility is named after Arthur “Bud” Metheny, longtime baseball and basketball coach at ODU. The stadium features 2,500 seats among three sections of… read more »

Leo Anthony

Leo Anthony (1940-2019) was an all-star basketball and baseball player at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary from 1957-1961. He was the first All-American athlete in the history of Old Dominion University (ODU) and was a member of the first ODU Sports Hall of Fame induction class in 1980. Norfolk Division Athletics Born and… read more »

Arthur “Bud” Metheny

Arthur “Bud” Metheny (1915-2003) was  the long-time coach of the men’s baseball and basketball teams at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary, Old Dominion College, and Old Dominion University (ODU) from 1948-1980 and 1948-1965, respectively. He was also the Athletic Director upon the retirement of Joseph C. “Scrap” Chandler in 1963 and served until Jim Jarrett was… read more »

Sidebar