ODU Administration

Vice President for Student Engagement and Enrollment Services

The Vice President for Student Engagement and Enrollment Services at Old Dominion University (ODU) focuses on recruitment, engagement, active learning, and student success. It is responsible for all aspects of the university regarding students including admissions and registration, housing and residence life, student organizations, counseling, and academic support. History The administrative function of student affairs activities began in… read more »

William B. Spong, Jr. Hall

Located at the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, William B. Spong, Jr. Hall, familiarly Spong Hall, houses the Department of Human Resources, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the Institute of Internal Auditors, among others. History Completed in 1954, Spong Hall was previously known as the Science Building and housed the Deparment of Biology, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics,… read more »

Samuel Bieber

Dr. Samuel Bieber (1926-2018) was a professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Old Dominion University (ODU) from 1980 to 1995. He also served as Vice President for Academic Affairs at ODU from 1980-1982 following the resignation of Dr. Charles O. Burgess. Personal Information Dr. Bieber received his bachelor’s degree in 1944 from the Washington Square College of… read more »

University Libraries

The University Libraries at Old Dominion University (ODU) consist of the Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, The F. Ludwig Diehn Composers Room, and the Elise N. Hofheimer Library. History The first library at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary was located in Room 18 of the Old Larchmont School on the corner of Bolling Avenue… read more »

Frank Batten

Frank Batten served as a member of the Board of Visitors of Old Dominion College, now Old Dominion University (ODU), from 1962 to 1973,  and was the first Rector of the Board of Visitors from 1962-1970. From 1955-1962, Batten was a member of Director Lewis W. Webb, Jr.’s Advisory Board which advised Webb on administrative members and… read more »

University Seal

  When Old Dominion University (ODU) became independent in 1962, one of the first orders of business was to create a seal for the new college. Adopted in 1963, the seal incorporates the history and origin of Virginia. The central portion of the seal is a modified version of the royal arms of the Stuarts,… read more »

Alumni Association

The Alumni Association serves over 138,000 members by connecting alumni around the world with one another by sponsoring programs, activities, and other events throughout the year.   Alumni Association Presidents 1946-1956: Donald G. Griffin ’38 1956-1957: Douglas L. Roberts ’56 1957-1958: Kenneth E. Brown ’56 1958-1960: Robert L. Fodrey, Sr. ’57 1960-1961: T. Earl Nettles ’59 1961-1962:… read more »

Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall

Located on Hampton Boulevard between William B. Song, Jr. Hall and Foreman Field, Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall (familiarly Rollins Hall) is currently home to several offices including the Office of Finance, University Registrar, Financial Aid, and Office of Admissions. The building is named after Alfred B. Rollins, Jr, third president of Old Dominion University. History In 1935, the Norfolk… read more »

H. Edgar Timmerman

Appointed the first director of the Norfolk Division, H. Edgar Timmerman was just 29 when he came to Norfolk in the fall of 1930. Prior to the appointment, Timmerman was a doctoral candidate at Columbia University and an instructor in the History Department at New York University. He was well liked by both students and faculty… read more »

Sidebar