ODU Administration

Dragas Hall

Dragas Hall is one of the five buildings that surround Kaufman Mall on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). It is located on the East side of the mall next to the Visionary Arts Building (VAB). It is currently home to the English Language Center, Office of Study Abroad, International Programs, and the Filipino American Center, among… read more »

Vice President for Student Engagement and Enrollment Services

The Vice President for Student Engagement and Enrollment Services at Old Dominion University (ODU) focuses on recruitment, engagement, active learning, and student success. It is responsible for all aspects of the university regarding students including admissions and registration, housing and residence life, student organizations, counseling, and academic support. History The administrative function of student affairs activities began in… read more »

William B. Spong, Jr. Hall

Located at the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, William B. Spong, Jr. Hall, familiarly Spong Hall, houses the Department of Human Resources, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the Institute of Internal Auditors, among others. History Completed in 1954, Spong Hall was previously known as the Science Building and housed the Deparment of Biology, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics,… read more »

Samuel Bieber

Dr. Samuel Bieber (1926-2018) was a professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Old Dominion University (ODU) from 1980 to 1995. He also served as Vice President for Academic Affairs at ODU from 1980-1982 following the resignation of Dr. Charles O. Burgess. Personal Information Dr. Bieber received his bachelor’s degree in 1944 from the Washington Square College of… read more »

University Libraries

The University Libraries at Old Dominion University (ODU) consist of the Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, the Music Library, and the Elise N. Hofheimer Library. History The first library at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary was located in Room 18 of the Old Larchmont School on the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton… read more »

Arthur “Bud” Metheny

Arthur “Bud” Metheny (1915-2003) was  the long-time coach of the men’s baseball and basketball teams at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary, Old Dominion College, and Old Dominion University from 1948-1980 and 1948-1965, respectively. He was also the Athletic Director upon the retirement of Joseph C. “Scrap” Chandler in 1963 and served until Jim Jarrett was… read more »

Frank Batten

Frank Batten served as a member of the Board of Visitors of Old Dominion College, now Old Dominion University (ODU), from 1962 to 1973,  and was the first Rector of the Board of Visitors from 1962-1970. From 1955-1962, Batten was a member of Director Lewis W. Webb, Jr.’s Advisory Board which advised Webb on administrative members and… read more »

University Seal

When Old Dominion University (ODU) became independent in 1962, one of the first orders of business was to create a seal for the new college. Adopted in 1963, the seal incorporates the history and origin of Virginia. The central portion of the seal is a modified version of the royal arms of the Stuarts, the… read more »

Alumni Association

The Alumni Association serves over 138,000 members by connecting alumni around the world with one another by sponsoring programs, activities, and other events throughout the year.   Alumni Association Presidents 1946-1956: Donald G. Griffin ’38 1956-1957: Douglas L. Roberts ’56 1957-1958: Kenneth E. Brown ’56 1958-1960: Robert L. Fodrey, Sr. ’57 1960-1961: T. Earl Nettles ’59 1961-1962:… read more »

Sidebar