Joseph E. Healy

Considered one of the founders of the Norfolk Division, Joseph E. Healy served as director of the William & Mary Extension in Norfolk from 1924 to 1930. In 1930, along with Norfolk attorney Robert Morton Hughes, Healy proposed the Old Larchmont School as a site for the division to William & Mary President J.A.C. Chandler. Chandler accepted the site, and on September 12, 1930, the Norfolk Division opened to the community. During the first year, 1930-1931, 206 students registered for classes at the division.


  1. Bookman, Steven and Jessica Ritchie. Old Dominion University: A Campus History Series.  Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina, 2017.