The ODU Virginia Beach Center is one of the three Regional Higher Education Centers of Old Dominion University (ODU). The other two sites are located in Portsmouth and Hampton, Virginia. Together, all three sites provide students with accessible, high quality education at three convenient locations in Hampton Roads. More information about the center can be found on the ODU Virginia Beach Center website.
In January 1988, Old Dominion received approval from the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) to build a new distance learning facility in Virginia Beach in partnership with Norfolk State University (NSU). With the increasing population, business and industrial expansion, and professional development opportunities in Virginia Beach, the center sought to provide graduate courses to the residents of Virginia Beach without having to come to the Norfolk campus. The ODU Virginia Beach Center opened in the fall of 1988 and celebrated its grand opening on October 25, 1988. The center was located in the 3300 South Building, Suite 301 at the intersection of Virginia Beach Boulevard and Little Neck Road. The first director was John Callander of ODU and Henrietta Dabney of NSU served as its first associate director. As enrollment grew in the 1990s, so did the course offerings as upper level undergraduate classes were added to the curriculum in the 1990s. To respond to these needs, a new ODU Virginia Beach Center opened in 1999 at 1881 University Dr. off Princess Anne Road in Virginia Beach.
ODU Virginia Beach Center Directors – Old Dominion University
1988-2000s: John Collander
2015-: Renee Olander, Associate Vice President for Regional Higher Education Centers
- UNews, University News, and The Courier, 1971-2009, Old Dominion University.
- Higher Education Centers Records, RG 5-16A, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.
- Old Dominion University Photographic and Multimedia Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- ODU Photographic Collection, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Collections, Old Dominion University Libraries.
- Building the University, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Exhibit, 2005.
- Office of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Records, RG 5-1A, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.
- Office of the President. Joseph M. Marchello Records, RG 2-1A4, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.