buildings and grounds | Special Collections and University Archives Wiki

Dominion Rock

Dominion Rock lies diagonally across from Webb University Center on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). The rock is painted periodically by students in various colors, designs and messages. It has become one of ODU’s newest traditions. History Christopher Ndiritu, class of 2016 and president of the Student Government Association (SGA), came up with the idea of… read more »

ODU Virginia Beach Center

The ODU Virginia Beach Center is one of the three Regional Higher Education Centers of Old Dominion University. The other two sites are located in Portsmouth and Hampton, Virginia. Together, all three sites provide students with accessible, high quality education at three convenient locations in Hampton Roads.   History In January 1988, Old Dominion received approval from the… read more »

William B. Spong, Jr. Hall

Located at the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, William B. Spong, Jr. Hall, familiarly Spong Hall, houses the Department of Human Resources, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the Institute of Internal Auditors, among others. History Completed in 1954, Spong Hall was previously known as the Science Building and housed the Deparment of Biology, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics,… read more »

Visual Arts Building

Located on Kaufman Mall next to Dragas Hall, the Visual Arts Building is home to the Strome Entrepreneurial Center, Center for Cybersecurity Education and Research, and staff offices for the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.   History Opened in 1960, the Fine Arts Building consolidated the Department of Music, Department of Art, and the Department of Foreign Languages into one building. The building’s distinctive look… read more »

Webb University Center

Webb University Center is the main community center at Old Dominion University. Known familiarly as “The Webb,” the building was named in honor of Lewis W. Webb, Jr., the first president of Old Dominion. The center also houses offices for Student Engagement and Enrollment Services, Auxiliary Services, Office of Intercultural Relations, Women’s Center, student organizations, dining options, meeting rooms,… read more »

Maglev

Built between 2001 and 2003, the innovative Maglev (magnetic levitation) transportation system at Old Dominion University (ODU) was designed as a proposed solution to growing transportation issues in the United States. The system, made up of a train-like vehicle suspended on a cushion of air above an elevated track through an electromagnetic field, stretches from Powhatan Avenue to… read more »

University Seal

  When Old Dominion University (ODU) became independent in 1962, one of the first orders of business was to create a seal for the new college. Adopted in 1963, the seal incorporates the history and origin of Virginia. The central portion of the seal is a modified version of the royal arms of the Stuarts,… read more »

Foreman Field

Foreman Field, located off 49th Street, is home to the Old Dominion University football team. The stadium is name after A. H. Foreman, Chairman of the Norfolk School Board and a member of the College of William and Mary’s Board of Visitors.   History Backing for a sports stadium at the Norfolk Division was approved… read more »

Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall

Located on Hampton Boulevard between William B. Song, Jr. Hall and Foreman Field, Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall (familiarly Rollins Hall) is currently home to several offices including the Office of Finance, University Registrar, Financial Aid, and Office of Admissions. The building is named after Alfred B. Rollins, Jr, third president of Old Dominion University. History In 1935, the Norfolk… read more »

Old Larchmont School

The old Larchmont Elementary School building was the first facility at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary. Located at the northwest corner of Hampton Boulevard and Bolling Ave., the building served as the center of campus activity as all the administrative offices and classes were housed here from 1930-1936.  History Originally… read more »

Sidebar