ODU Academics

College of Arts and Letters

The College of Arts and Letters is one of the colleges at Old Dominion University (ODU). Classrooms and department offices, including the dean’s office, are located in the Batten Arts and Letters Building (BAL). The college is the largest college on campus and is made up of the Department of Art, African-American and African Studies… read more »

Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology

The Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology is one of the colleges at Old Dominion University (ODU). The dean’s office of the college is located in the Engineering Systems Building while most of the classes take place in Kaufman Hall. The college consists of the Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Engineering… read more »

A. Rufus Tonelson

A. Rufus Tonelson was a student, teacher, administrator, and benefactor of Old Dominion University (ODU). Tonelson was among the first three students to register for courses at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary in the fall of 1930. A start athlete in baseball and basketball, Tonelson was a member of the… read more »

Charles Sibley

Chalres Sibley was the founder and first chair of the Department of Art at Old Dominion University (ODU). A noted painter, Sibley taught all the art classes for a period of time after he arrived in 1955 out of a room in the Old Larchmont School. He received his bachelor degree from Ohio State University,… read more »

James A. Hixon Art Studio Building

The James A. Hixon Art Studio Building is one of the buildings that makes up the arts district in the University Village on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). The building houses classroom space and studios for crafts, graphic design, photography, and printmaking, among others. Located next to the Barry Arts Building between 46th… read more »

Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Galleries

The Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Galleries are one of the two art museums on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). Located along Monarch Way between 45th Street and 46th Street, the galleries feature works by national and international self-taught artists, contemporary artists, and artists connected with ODU. The facility features two 2,600 square-foot… read more »

Stables Theatre

Located at the corner of 47th Street and Monarch Way, the Stables Theatre houses the costume shop and the design studio classroom for the Department of Communication and Theatre Arts at Old Dominion University (ODU). History Built in 1916, the Stables Theatre is the oldest building on the ODU campus. The building was originally used… read more »

F. Ludwig Diehn Center for the Performing Arts

The F. Ludwig Diehn Center for the Performing Arts features classrooms, rehearsal space, offices for the Department of Music and the Dance Program, and also contains the Wilson G. Chandler Recital Hall at Old Dominion University (ODU). Located along 49th Street between Webb University Center and the Kate and John R. Broderick Dining Commons, the… read more »

Barry Arts Building

The Barry Arts Building is home to the Department of Art and features classrooms, studio space, the Elise N. Hofheimer Art Library, and the Jean Outland Chrsyler Library on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). The 39,000 square-foot building is located along Monarch Way between 46th and 47th Streets in the University Village. History… read more »

Barry Art Museum

The Barry Art Museum is a state-of-the-art , 24,000 square-foot museum at the corner of 43rd Street and Hampton Boulevard on the campus of Old Dominion University (ODU). The museum features paintings, dolls, and glass art, among others, donated by its benefactors, Richard and Carolyn Barry. History In 2016, plans were announced that ODU would… read more »

Sidebar