ODU Faculty and Staff

Joseph M. Marchello

Joseph M. Marchello, Ph.D., chancellor of the University of Missouri at Rolla, became the fourth president of Old Dominion University upon the retirement of Alfred B. Rollins Jr. in 1985. President Marchello brought energy and ability to the position and set ambitious plans for the development of the university, some that materialized after his tenure. Upon… read more »

Alfred B. Rollins, Jr.

Alfred B. Rollins ,Jr. became the third president of Old Dominion University (ODU) in 1976 upon the retirement of James L. Bugg, Jr. President Rollins expanded the university’s state and private funding, revamped student services, and added a new general education program for undergraduates. Rollins also broadened Old Dominion’s emphasis on marine science and added… read more »

James L. Bugg, Jr.

James L. Bugg Jr., Ph.D.,  was personally recruited by Rector Frank Batten in 1969 to become president upon the retirement of Lewis W. Webb Jr. President Bugg’s mission was to transition Old Dominion from a college to a university. He was able to grow the university despite resistance from state legislators and other Virginia schools… read more »

Faculty Emeriti Association

The Faculty Emeriti Association (FEA) was established in February 1982 to help Old Dominion University (ODU) utilize all the institutional knowledge and creativity of its retired faculty. The association was founded by Dorothy Jones, Faculty Emeritus from the School of Business. Some of the first tasks of the organization included tutoring students, counseling professors and aiding disabled… read more »

Joseph E. Healy

Considered one of the founders of the Norfolk Division, Joseph E. Healy served as director of the William & Mary Extension in Norfolk from 1924 to 1930. In 1930, along with Norfolk attorney Robert Morton Hughes, Healy proposed the Old Larchmont School as a site for the division to William & Mary President J.A.C. Chandler…. read more »

Old Larchmont School

The Old Larchmont Elementary School building was the first facility at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary. Located at the northwest corner of Hampton Boulevard and Bolling Avenue, the building served as the center of campus activity as all the administrative offices and classes were housed here from 1930-1936.  History Originally… read more »

Department of Women’s Studies

The Department of Women’s Studies at Old Dominion University (ODU) teaches students about the social, global, and historical issues that shape the lives of  men and women in a variety of ways. History By the mid-1970s, there was a growing shift on campus to help improve the lives of women at Old Dominion. The Women’s Caucus was… read more »

ODU Tri-Cities Center

The ODU Tri-Cities Center, located in Portsmouth, Virginia, is one of the three Regional Higher Education Centers of Old Dominion University (ODU). The other two sites are located in Virginia Beach and Hampton. Together, all three sites provide students with accessible, high quality education at three convenient locations in Hampton Roads. More information about the center can be… read more »

Lewis W. Webb, Jr.

Lewis W. Webb, Jr., the first President of Old Dominion University (ODU), was born in Norfolk, Virginia on March 1, 1910. A graduate of Maury High School, he received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1931 and Master of Science degree in 1932 from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blacksburg. He served as an Instructor of… read more »

Old Dominion University Faculty Wives Club

Faculty Wives Club Octoberfest Booth, 1976 The Old Dominion University Faculty Wives Club is a social and service organization made up of faculty wives from Old Dominion University (ODU). History Founded in 1950 by Virginia Rice Webb, the wife of Norfolk Division Director Lewis W. Webb, Jr., the Faculty Wives Club served as a source of… read more »

Sidebar