The College of Sciences is one of the colleges at Old Dominion University (ODU). The dean’s office for the college is located in the Oceanography and Physical Sciences Building. The college consists of the Department of Biological Sciences, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Department of Computer Science, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Department of Physics, and the Department of Psychology. The college is also responsible for the Center for Quantitative Fisheries Ecology, Learning Assessments Lab, Math and Science Resource Center, and the Arthur and Phyllis Kaplan Orchid Conservatory.
A School of Arts and Sciences was established in 1964 to include all the programs that were not part of the previous schools for engineering, education, and business administration. E. Vernon Peele, Dean of Instruction, was selected as the first dean of the School of Arts and Sciences in 1964. In 1966, with the growth of Old Dominion College, the school was split into the School of Arts and Letters and the School of Sciences. Peele would continue to be dean of the School of Arts and Letters and Melvin A. Pittman was selected as the first dean of the School of Sciences. In 1975, the school was reorganized into the School of Sciences and Health Professions. In 1986, in a reorganization of the university, the school split into the College of Sciences and the College of Health Sciences.
1966-1974: Mevlin A. Pittman
1974-June 1978: Dale W. Lick
July-December 1978: Randall S. Spencer, Interim Dean
1979-1983: Thomas P. Wallace
1983-1984: Lindsay L. Rettie, Acting Dean
1984-1991: Joseph C. Daniel, Jr.
1991-1993: Paul J. Homsher, Interim Dean
1993-1996: Richard D. Ringeisen
1996-1997: Frank E. Scully, Jr., Interim Dean
1997-2000: Terry L. Hickey
2000-2003: Thomas L. Isenhour
2003-2006: Richard Gregory
2006-2007: Joseph H. Rule, Interim
2007- May 2017: Chris D. Platsoucas
May 2017-present: Gail Dodge
- Old Dominion University Photographic and Multimedia Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- ODU Photographic Collection, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Collections, Old Dominion University Libraries.
- School of Sciences and Health Professions Records, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- Bookman, Steven and Jessica Ritchie. Old Dominion University: A Campus History Series. Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina, 2017.
- Old Dominion University Catalogs, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.