Norfolk Division

William B. Spong, Jr. Hall

Located at the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, William B. Spong, Jr. Hall, familiarly Spong Hall, houses the Department of Human Resources, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the Institute of Internal Auditors, among others. History Completed in 1954, Spong Hall was previously known as the Science Building and housed the Deparment of Biology, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics,… read more »

Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity

The Iota Zeta Chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity at Old Dominion University (ODU) was established in 1965 as a colony and was confirmed as a chapter the following year. History Delta Omega Phi was established at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary in 1937 and was the precursor to the Pi Kappa Alpha… read more »

Arthur “Bud” Metheny

Arthur “Bud” Metheny (1915-2003) was  the long-time coach of the men’s baseball and basketball teams at the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary, Old Dominion College, and Old Dominion University from 1948-1980 and 1948-1965, respectively. He was also the Athletic Director upon the retirement of Joseph C. “Scrap” Chandler in 1963 and served until Jim Jarrett was… read more »

Frank Batten

Frank Batten served as a member of the Board of Visitors of Old Dominion College, now Old Dominion University (ODU), from 1962 to 1973,  and was the first Rector of the Board of Visitors from 1962-1970. From 1955-1962, Batten was a member of Director Lewis W. Webb, Jr.’s Advisory Board which advised Webb on administrative members and… read more »

Foreman Field

Foreman Field, located off 49th Street, is home to the Old Dominion University football team. The stadium is name after A. H. Foreman, Chairman of the Norfolk School Board and a member of the College of William and Mary’s Board of Visitors.   History Backing for a sports stadium at the Norfolk Division was approved… read more »

Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall

Located on Hampton Boulevard between William B. Song, Jr. Hall and Foreman Field, Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall, or simply Rollins Hall, is currently home to several offices including the Office of Finance, University Registrar, Financial Aid, and Office of Admissions. The building is named after Alfred B. Rollins, Jr, third president of Old Dominion University. History In 1935,… read more »

Darden College of Education and Professional Studies

The Darden College of Education and Professional Studies is one of the eight colleges at Old Dominion University. Located in the state-of-the-art New Education Building at the corner of 43rd Street and Hampton Boulevard, the college is named after Colgate Darden, Jr., U.S. Representative from Virginia (1933-37, 1939-1941), Governor of Virginia (1942-1946), Chancellor of the College of William & Mary (1946-1947), and… read more »

H. Edgar Timmerman

Appointed the first director of the Norfolk Division, H. Edgar Timmerman was just 29 when he came to Norfolk in the fall of 1930. Prior to the appointment, Timmerman was a doctoral candidate at Columbia University and an instructor in the History Department at New York University. He was well liked by both students and faculty… read more »

Joseph E. Healy

Considered one of the founders of the Norfolk Division, Joseph E. Healy served as director of the William & Mary Extension in Norfolk from 1924 to 1930. In 1930, along with Norfolk attorney Robert Morton Hughes, Healy proposed the old Larchmont School as a site for the division to William & Mary President J.A.C. Chandler…. read more »

Sidebar