Gray’s Pharmacy was a pharmacy across Hampton Boulevard from the Old Dominion University (ODU) campus that was heavily used by the ODU community for almost 80 years.
Established in 1918, Grey’s Pharmacy was a local hangout for students, faculty and staff at ODU. After the closure of Bud’s Emporium in the 1960s due to new dining options in the newly-opened Webb University Center, Old Dominion students visited Gray’s Pharmacy’s old-fashioned soda counter more often. The lunch counter was a popular spot from the 1960s to 1989. For financial reasons, Gray’s closed in 2016 after almost 100 years in business.
- ODU Photographic Collection, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Collections, Old Dominion University Libraries.
- Old Dominion University Photographic and Multimedia Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- Information about Gray’s Pharmacy can also be found in select Yearbooks in ODU Digital Commons.
- Bookman, Steven and Jessica Ritchie. Old Dominion University: A Campus History Series. Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina, 2017.