Located at the corner of Bolling Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, William B. Spong, Jr. Hall, familiarly Spong Hall, houses the Department of Human Resources, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the Institute of Internal Auditors, among others.
Completed in 1954, Spong Hall was previously known as the Science Building and housed the Deparment of Biology, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics, and the Department of Engineering. Situated next to the Administration Building, now Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall, the Science Building also included a snack bar, cafeteria, and the bookstore. The building was renamed Spong Hall in 1996 in honor of Old Dominion president William B. Spong, Jr.
- Old Dominion University Photographic and Multimedia Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- Old Dominion University: A Half-Century of Service, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Va., 1980.
- Building the University, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Exhibit, 2005.
- Bookman, Steven and Jessica Ritchie. Old Dominion University: A Campus History Series. Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina, 2017.