Located on Hampton Boulevard between William B. Song, Jr. Hall and Foreman Field, Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall, or simply Rollins Hall, is currently home to several offices including the Office of Finance, University Registrar, Financial Aid, and Office of Admissions. The building is named after Alfred B. Rollins, Jr, third president of Old Dominion University.
In 1935, the Norfolk Division received money from the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Public Works Administration (PWA) to build a new administration building in response to the growing institution. The building would also include a new gymnasium and a swimming pool. Despite bad weather delays, the use of unskilled laborers, and labor strikes the facility was completed in 1936. At a final cost of approximately $123,000, the Administration Building included administrative offices, six classrooms, two gymnasiums, a library, and a swimming pool. Until 1960, the Norfolk Division’s men’s basketball games were played here, and a stage was place on one side of the court for plays and operas to take place. Bud’s Emporium, the snack bar and a favorite student hangout, moved from the Old Larchmont School to the Administration Building in 1945 and stayed there until moving once again in 1956 to the new Science Building, now William B. Spong, Jr. Hall. During the construction boom of the 1960s, an annex was added to the Administration Building. The facility was renamed Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall in honor of the third president of Old Dominion, who served from 1976-1985. To honor first lady Faith Prior Rollins, who passed away while President Rollins was in office, a quiet place was created in front of Rollins Hall complete with two sitting benches, azalea and holly bushes.
- Old Dominion University Photographic and Multimedia Collection, Special Collections and Univeristy Archives, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 23529.
- Building the University, Old Dominion University Libraries Digital Exhibit, 2005.
- Bookman, Steven and Jessica Ritchie. Old Dominion University: A Campus History Series. Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina, 2017.